Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 .logic and .lso file format specs available?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by jemenake, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jemenake

jemenake New Member

Howdy, everybody!

I've been working with a client for several years (I don't feel at liberty to say who it is, but you've heard him on the radio... a *lot*) and he's been using Logic Pro for all of his home recording projects. Problem is: he's 100% artistic and he doesn't manage his projects well at *all*. So, over the years, he has amassed about 40,000 audio files and 500 Logic projects, all scattered across about 4 drives, totaling about 3,000GB. Many of the audio files are "orphans"; belonging to projects that no longer exist, and many others are *supposed* to be with projects, but this client has either moved the project file, the audio files, or both, such that the file references are now broken (and no, just clicking "Search" in Logic doesn't help. It usually finds the audio files from other projects... which makes things worse).

So, I finally broke down and started writing a program which makes a complete accounting of *all* audio files and logic projects on his system... figuring out which audio files are duplicates of others, which audio files are orphans, and figuring out where missing audio files got moved to.

In order to do this, I need to be able to decipher the .logic and .lso file formats. I've done a pretty good job of reverse-engineering them, but there's *still* some info which I'm unable to glean from them because I don't know where/how that info is stored.

Does anybody know if there's a file format specification document floating around (either from Apple or from a better reverse-engineer than I) which details the format of these files?
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the LUG.

A (intended to be friendly) word of advice: Before you start posting publicly about reverse engineering proprietary file formats, you would be well advised to look through Apple's EULA as to whether this is allowed or not.

kind regards

4. jemenake

jemenake New Member

Thanks for the note. I had considered that, actually. But the fact is: I don't own Logic (my client does), so I haven't agreed to Apple's EULA. Also, I haven't publicly released what I know about the formats, or any software which reads the formats, and maybe I haven't even privately written down anything about the formats.

So, they've got zero hard evidence. All they've got is some faceless dude claiming that he's figured out some of the file format. If they want to waste their time trying to come after me, they're welcome to.
  5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Doesn't change the legality of the issue. It isn't allowed, plain and simple. Please note we highly respect intellectual property rights and do not allow discussions on the forum which are contrary to this position. I will therefore close this thread. Feel free to contact me or any other Admin privately if you have any questions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.