1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Logic on Macbook?

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by pjl, Apr 5, 2009.

1. pjl

pjl Member

My employer is giving me a new laptop (2.4 GHz Macbook) and I'm thinking of buying Logic since it's incredibly cheap to upgrade from my old PC version. I haven't used Logic since then but at that price I'd like to have it as an option to my main DAW.

So, my question is: How well would it run on the Macbook?
  3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Incredibly well! That's faster than the MacBook Pro that I have, and it runs Logic Pro 8 incredibly well. If you have projects with huge track amounts, you'll need a FW drive, but I can play 60+ tracks off of my internal 7200RPM drive without a hitch. You'll love it! :thmbup:

4. pjl

pjl Member

Thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer. Strangely however, the new MacBooks don't have FW, just USB.
  5. bambony

bambony Administrator Staff Member

The "white Macbook" (http://www.apple.com/uk/macbook/white/) does have firewire. Buy it while you still can if you need firewire. My Macbook runs Logic 8 just fine and it is slower and older.

6. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

Also there were a slew of multichannel USB2 interfaces released at Musicmesse trade show this week.
  7. I made a test a while ago. On my white Macbook 2.4 (4GB RAM), I can run around 150 stereo tracks in 24bit/44.1kHz from the internal (5400RPM) drive.
    Starting Logic and navigating it becomes very slow at that amount of tracks, but it's still working.

- Sascha
  8. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Senior member

The link is now dead

9. nozzles

nozzles New Member

It would appear that the macbooks run Logic Pro real SLOW! No one seems to know why.
  10. pjl

pjl Member

That's not my experience with the MacBook I was originally talking about. I'm now running on a MacBookPro (17", 2.8 GHz) and, even with no external drive, I'm getting good results. I suppose it depends on what you are expecting but all of the Logic 8/9 demos run without hitch and to me that's a good indication.

Can't comment on the current crop of polycarb MacBooks but, is there any reason to believe that they are architecturally different from the MacBook Pros?
  11. nozzles

nozzles New Member

As I have now discovered, you are correct. Logic Pro 8 runs perfect on a MBP ... Logic Pro 9 does not. So as long as you stick to 8 - you're good!
  12. meanstreetsmusic

meanstreetsmusic New Member

The new Macbooks still have Firewire but only the Macbook Pro 17".

Also in my personal opinion you don't actually need firewire for your drive. I have numerous releases on labels and keep all my samples, track, files on an extrenal USB drive and it works just as well for me.. I do however use the Firewire port for my T.C. Electronics Audio card.

Best of luck and have fun.. Logic kicks ASS!

I have a 2.8 Macbook Pro 17" unibody..
  13. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Actually, FireWire is on every current MBP computer, 13", 15" or 17"

The MacBook (non-pro) does not have FireWire.

14. meanstreetsmusic

meanstreetsmusic New Member

Ah cool. I didnt know. I thought only the 17" that's great news!!

I would say for music. go with a macbook pro if your gona do big audio production.. just make sure ot get as much am as you can afford (after market). For the first time ever I actually feel like this can really be the last computer I will own. I don't feel like I ever need a different machine.. really.. what a great feeling huh?
  15. weshunter

weshunter New Member

i run logic studio 8 on my white macbook (which has firewire, btw - a great way to hook up an apogee duet) and I doubled the RAM and added a 250gb HD) and it runs fine. I can slow it down with a lot of tracks (combination audio and midi) and if i use a lot of plugins, but for the most part it works great. If I run into trouble, I just freeze whatever tracks I don't need to mess with and it works.

before I upgraded the RAM, it was a good bit slower. then, I would track stuff in Logic Express then open it in Pro for mixing/effects/mastering -- but since I upgraded the RAM, I've had no problems
  16. michaelM

michaelM New Member

Do you keep a separate drive for the samples, and sessions?