Logic Pro 9 Logic Pro 9.1 Update

mmm42

Logician
Logic Pro 9.1 Update
This update delivers improved compatibility and numerous fixes.

Issues addressed include:

Support for 64-bit native mode
Compatibility with 64-bit Audio Unit plug-ins
File names with over 32 characters are now supported
Samples are now mapped correctly when using the "Contiguous Zones" option in the EXS editor
Updated System Requirements

32-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later
64-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later
The update is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9.

For detailed information on this update, including some restrictions when working in 64-bit mode, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2565

That is very good news, no more naming restrictions is very welcome, getting a 64 bit Native version of Logic is a major step forward. I am curious as to how 3rd party development of 64 bit Native Audio Units will now proceed.

It is also very good to see there being a .1 upgrade with important new features available free for Logic 9 users :thmbup:

kind regards

mark

Upvote 0
I just installed 9.1 per software update, and switched to 64 bit mode by ctrl. clicking on the Logic Pro icon, selecting "get Info" then unchecking the 32 bit box. On starting I get a message that the Euphonix Controllers aren't supported, and thexy in fact don't respond at all. Presumably Euphonix will be working on a version which will be compatible with Logic 9.1 64 bit.

Having loaded an arrangement with some AUs, here are a few impressions:

It is great that there is a solution allowing 32 bit AUs to run in 64 bit Logic, a very pleasant surprise! It should be a big help with regards to backwards compatibility. I am thinking of older Plug Ins which may not be released as 64 bit. Native Instruments' Pro 53 and B4 spring to mind ...

Opening an AU, the Plugin UI does not actually get displayed immediately, rather, what I will call a "preview" window appears, with a program named "32 bit Audio Unit Bridge" running. THis Preview Window includes the Logic universal control buttons:

20100112-p488bg355bcfbswd5riy28xj3t.jpg

On clicking in the grey areaa, the Plugin UI then appears. However, on opening a second AU, the UI of the first dissapears, leaving only the "Pre". It seems that only one UI can be open at a time:

20100112-p488bg355bcfbswd5riy28xj3t.jpg

Switching from Audio Unit View to Controls view, it is possible to have more than one UI visible at a time. I presume that this 32 bit Audio Unit Bridge is hosting the 32 bit Plugins, and probably can't address more than the 32 bit restriction of 4 GB RAM. If this is so, then it will still be important that AU developers push to get 64 bit Native versions of their products released. At least the Logic developers have now put the ball firmly in their courts.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Interestingly enough, when I 'get info' Logic 9.02 in the applications folder there is no option for 32 bit mode:

This concerns a new update to Logic Pro, 9.1. You can get this from Software Update now.

You are using an earlier version of Logic Pro, 9.02.

You should see the checkbox in today's new version.

Hope that helps!

Orren

Upvote 0
I've been waiting to upgrade my MacPro from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. Am I right in assuming that if I upgrade to Snow Leopard, Logic will no longer have memory limitations so that I could go to town with my soft synths or is that fuzzy logic on my part and wishful thinking:)

Upvote 0
I've been waiting to upgrade my MacPro from Leopard 10.5.8 to Snow Leopard. Am I right in assuming that if I upgrade to Snow Leopard, Logic will no longer have memory limitations so that I could go to town with my soft synths or is that fuzzy logic on my part and wishful thinking:)

Hi Judith,

Your logic is smooth and shiny, not fuzzy. ;) That is, in fact, the one real benefit of 64-bit DAWs: that they can host 64-bit plug-ins, which can access nearly unlimited memory. This will allow you to load those Kontakt libraries that are 10GB in size with impunity.

There are, however, two caveats:
  • The plug-in itself must be available as a 64-bit plug-in. If it is not, it will run in the 32-bit "bridge" application (see Mark's post and the KB article I linked to).
  • Your Mac must have enough physical RAM to support loading those huge ROMplers in 64-bit mode. Obviously, you can't run a 10GB Kontakt library into only 5GB of physical RAM.

So check with your plug-in manufacturers, and if you have enough RAM, you're good to go. :thmbup:

Orren

Upvote 0
Actually, you can already load Kontakt libraries over 4 gig since V 3.5 with NI's memory manager function.

I would suggest that the best reason for the 64 bit mode would be that Logic won't crash and corrupt your song if you go over 2.5 gig with plug-ins etc, like it does now.

George

Upvote 0
OK so I did a quick test by instantiating 16 Omnispheres (32 bit.) I loaded patches in the first 12, recorded a part on all of them, and OMG it worked. When I attempted to load a patch in #13 however, I got the message "32 Bit Audio Unit Bridge quit unexpectedly whiile using the Onminsphere plug-in" and then Logic crashed.

So, I conclude that Apple has done its part, and now it is incumbent on us to go to NAMM or email and bug the living crap out of all the plug-in developers to go 64 bit.

Upvote 0
FXpansion D-Cam Synth Squad also crashed the AU bridge, as I also got "32 Bit Audio Unit Bridge quit unexpectedly" when instantiating it.

I found the only 3rd party 64 bit plug I have among several dozen is Stylus RMX. I tried a few others that worked fine with the AU Bridge, but once D-CAM crashed, I switched back to 32 bit mode, figuring these crashes are kind of a pain, and I wasn't into being an unpaid compatibility tester for 3rd party plugin makers. ;)

Upvote 0
One other nice thing about 9.1 (for me, anyway) is that the key command transport controls work even if a plugin window is active. That was something that drove me NUTS in Logic before! I'm sure I'll be finding other new little sources of joy...

Upvote 0
My happiness about the 64-bitten Logic is a bit tempered by the solution to hosting 32-bit plugins. The Bridge, as reported above (with glossy pictures!) by Markdvc, only allows one to view a single plug-in window at a time.

Now it's a question of how quickly plug-in developers will manage to rewrite code for 64-bit mode. Didn't Apple seed said developers with 64-bit betas and alphas?

Meanwhile, I will most likely work in 32-bit mode with the exception of extremely memory-intensive projects. I often work with multiple plug-in windows open at a time, editing and comparing parameters. (The "Hide/Show All Plug-In Windows" shortcut is your friend, single-monitor users!)

mk3

Upvote 0
The 64-bittenness is only relevant for memory management - correct? All of the other aspects of 9.1 should work the same whether in 32-bit or 64-bit mode...?

(Although I am sure that in no time someone with more golden ears than my own DJ-damaged ones will claim that the stereo image is different and that thing about bass extension and phasing and strings sound silkier and voices sound more detailed and....)

Upvote 0
My happiness about the 64-bitten Logic is a bit tempered by the solution to hosting 32-bit plugins. The Bridge, as reported above (with glossy pictures!) by Markdvc, only allows one to view a single plug-in window at a time.

- or switch the plugins to Control view and open as many as you like.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
The 64-bittenness is only relevant for memory management - correct?

Right. If you don't have huge amounts of RAM (>5GB) and ROMplers that are memory hogs, you'll gain nothing from 64-bit.

All of the other aspects of 9.1 should work the same whether in 32-bit or 64-bit mode...?

Actually, 64-bit mode comes with limitations, as you can read here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3171

So in fact, 9.1 works better in 32-bit mode--just without the ability to address more than 4GB of memory*.

Orren

* As GLIII mentioned above, both the EXS and Kontakt can address memory beyond the 32-bit Logic's own 4GB application limit. So really, this is just a feature for those who gotta have the extra memory access now.

Upvote 0
Back