Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Logic Pro 9 vs X on Mavericks vs Yosemite? Advice?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by cbmtrx, Jun 28, 2015.

1. cbmtrx

cbmtrx New Member

Over the years I've learned to become a late adopter. It seems that with all the 3rd party plugins, reliability becomes an issue--especially when one has several tracks in progress that call on those plugins. So for that reason I'm still on Logic Pro 9 and Mavericks.

I've read a few things about Logic and Yosemite and am wondering how good/bad support for those 3rd party plugins is. Do all 32-bit plugins/instruments still load via the bridge or are many just no longer supported? Is there anything else (that is perhaps not in the marketing materials!) to know about going from Logic 9 to Logic X?

Lastly, how about 9 vs X on Mavericks vs Yosemite? Any advice for someone who almost always has several unfinished tracks perpetually in progress? Do others face this problem?

Thanks.

3. hurtygurty

hurtygurty New Member

yes I do trying to get Logic 9 run to run on OS 10.9.5

4. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

I
    I wouldn't update to Yosemite while using logic 9. I did this and logic 9 was unusable. I had to purchase logic 10 and run it on Yosemite instead. But before I updated to Yosemite, I purchased a solid state drive and installed it inside my late 2009 27' iMac and installed Yosemite on that drive. So basically I'm running two operating operating systems on two separate hard drives on my iMac. I have logic 9 still running on snow leopard and logic 10 on Yosemite. If you still have unfinished projects or songs DON'T UPDATE. I plan to eventually go exclusively with logic 10 but I still have unfinished projects on logic 9 and that's why I added the second drive instead of updating my snow leopard system. I couldn't take that chance of losing my files. More expensive but was the best decision in my situation, especially when i discovered logic 9 was unstable on Yosemite.

5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Yosemite versus Mavericks: Yosemite. If not Yosemite, then Mountain Lion. But not Mavericks.
    Logic 9 versus Logic X: X
    32 versus 64 bit: After all these years, its time to move on. X won't deal with 32 bit plugins. If an author hasn't updated to 64 bit, it's time to find an alternative. If absolutely necessary, there are 64 bit wrappers that work in most instances.

6. cbmtrx

cbmtrx New Member

Good info, Rodney, thanks.

bayswater: Yes, I'm aware there are wrappers for running 32-bit plugins, unfortunately they don't always seem to pass validation. And very often the 'really old stuff' is sometimes the best stuff!

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Most people appear to have success with 32lives. In my case I was able to get by with jBridgeM in a pinch using DSP-Quattro as a VI host for VST versions until everything that matters was updated. I figured it was time to move on because although some of the old plugins were nice, it became clear the authors weren't supporting them anymore, and it was just a matter of time before their plugins would become unusable.

8. cbmtrx

cbmtrx New Member

good tips there, thanks. It's too bad that this is the reality of music with computers; everybody ends up using essentially the same plugins because others are no longer supported :/

9. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

FWIW I have around 700 (!) Audio Units installed, which are 64 bit, current and supported. I appreciate that the "bad apples" make their presence felt by not being available, and there have been some developers who have not kept their software support up to date. Nevertheless, the sheer number and variety of plugins available these days is IMHO overwhelming.

Perhaps if you mention the specific AUs you are writing about you may get some suggestion as to suitable alternatives?

kind regards

Mark

10. cbmtrx

cbmtrx New Member

Yes, no question there is a huge variety out there, but after 12 or so years of using a huge number of different ones, more and more I feel there's a gap left by "old", unsupported plugins that could do stuff that supported ones don't.

The larger view is: plugins very often follow music trends--as do instruments and songs--and so older ones (which tended to be more experimental/unusual IMVHO) that don't conform to the trend fall out of use. Except so many of them were great!

11. macgician

macgician New Member

Wow! You may have just saved me a nightmare, I might have been in the same boat vis losing stuff in a conversion.