1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Logic Pro bounces coming out with very low levels

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Northside313, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Northside313

Northside313 New Member

Hi, question about bouncing. I just completed a track and after bouncing the levels are very low. Even after normalizing it's way too quiet. First time having this issue don't know what's up. Anyone know what's happening? Thanks.

3. forgetr

forgetr Member

With what app are you listening to the bounced file? What are your levels on the stereo out and master channel strips? Do you have any plugins on those channel strips? A screenshot of your mixer would really help here.

Also, don't normalize. It doesn't usually solve problems, only creates them.

4. Northside313

Northside313 New Member

I opened the file in Peak and also in Audacity. Levels were way low in both. My track levels are as always in the red, can't keep them out. PSP Vintage Warmer on the stereo as well as an eq by DDMF that's it. I had to push it with gain like nuts to get decent levels. Here is a screenshot.

Attached Files:

5. Mejon

Mejon New Member

Make sure your master fader is at unity gain, and also that your master level isn't peaking in the red. Track levels and/or a limiter on the master fader can help this. If the master gain is set below unity gain, your bounce will reflect that and be quieter.

6. Northside313

Northside313 New Member

Ok thanks, very much appreciated.

7. charlie

charlie Senior member

I might also recommend a gain-stage plug-in that lets you see what exactly is feeding your track-faders...
    I don't know your experience level (and you may be way smarter than me, so please don't be insulted if I'm telling you things you already know,) but since you said that your track levels were in the red (and you "can't keep them out,") check this old post from elsewhere about gain & levels...:
    http://www.massivemastering.com/blog/index_files/Proper_Audio_Recording_Levels.php

...Then check out this cheap Gain adjustment plug-in that was inspired by that exact thread I posted. It's definitely CHEAP!:D
    In my experience, using various sound-sources, I did not realize that having a "hot" source on a given track could actually throw off the various EQ, Compressor plug-ins that I use. This simple Gain Adjust meter allows you to dial up or down the signal coming into the channel BEFORE the plug-ins and channel fader...
    Perhaps starting here might help the issue you described. If the channel signals are at a proper level, then feeding them to a Buss or directly to the Master Out of Logic should (in theory,) give you an expected level for Bouncing.
    You would then us the Limiter, Compressor, Expander etc to bring overall levels to what you need them to be.
    Again, if I'm preaching to the choir, forgive me. But I use the above method now on all my recordings (as well as build my projects in the K14 loudness scale and have heard nothing but positive things from mix & mastering engineers which is great!
    I'm curious to see how this all turns out for you.
    Best of luck!:thmbup:

8. Northside313

Northside313 New Member

Cool thanks that's a great article. Some of my tracks are bouncing low, some perfect. Still trying to pinpoint. I think the one bouncing ultra low may have the master too low. track levels too hot. I will check out the plug you recommended, thanks again.