Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Logic Pro crashes on lauch 100% of the time

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by Paul Zimmer, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi,

I'm having a major problem with Logic Pro 8.0.2 on a 2x quad core 2.26gHz, 6gig RAM Nehalem Mac running OS 10.5.7. Initially, Logic worked fine, but since installing NI Komplete 5, it crashes every time, on the template selection screen. There is a pause of around 5 seconds on the template screen before an error beep, the beachball and the crash dialogue box appears.
    I've tried removing my RME HDSPe AIO soundcard, reinstalling the soundcard drivers, moving all NI plugin compenents to the desktop, starting without audio, starting in AU safe mode, starting without template, trashing Logic preferences and reinstalling Logic Studio, nothing makes any difference.
    Any suggestions or pointers would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance,

Paul

3. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Try creating a new User and logging in under that. If it fixes the problem, you have some OSX corruption and may need to reinstall Leopard.

4. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi Jay, many thanks for your reply.
    I tried your suggestion, and unfortunately the crash still happens, in the same way as before. The only difference is that when Logic rescanned the Audio Units under my new user, it claimed that two of them were incompatible (presumably two of the Komplete 5 plugs, as these are currently the only ones I have installed?). Is this a pointer to there being a problem with the Komplete 5 installation?
    Thanks again,

Paul

5. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Could be, but I am afraid I see a re-install of Leopard and then Logic Pro 8 in your future.

6. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Argh! Well, I guess it could be worse, it's a brand new computer with only Logic and NI Komplete installed so far, so I'm not having to reinstall too much. Is there anything I should bear in mind when going through this procedure?
    Thanks for your help, Jay.

Paul

7. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

Yes.

1. Do the re-installs.

2. Do not start with any templates crated in LP7. If all is well, create a clone with Time Machine or CCC.

3. Install only 3rd party plug-ins that are the latest updates that have been documented to be OK with the current version of Leopard and LP8.

8. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi Jay, great - much appreciated.

Paul

9. charlie

charlie Senior member

Paul,
    I am waiting for the exact same MacPro you have now to arrive from Apple. I'd be interested if you have any other bugs after all this OR if you isolate the problem to be non-Kontact related.
    Good luck, man. I wish you a speedy recovery w/ Logic!

10. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi Charlie,

No problem - once I've reinstalled the OS and apps, I'll report back and let you know :)

Paul

11. mattrixx

mattrixx Senior member

You 'do' have the latest versions of all the NI plugs I assume?

12. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi mattrixx,

Yes, I do, but thanks for your suggestion. After installing Komplete 5 I did run Logic without the latest updates, but then I realised I needed them, so I installed them, and all of the components should now be up to date.
    Thanks,

Paul

13. Howard W

Howard W Member

Did you check the crash logs?

You don't by any chance have an older version of rewire installed do you?
    That's the usual culprit when Logic starts crashing at launch. If you do have rewire installed go to Propellerheads site and d'load the latest version.

Howard

14. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi Howard, I did check the crash logs, but they didn't shed any immediate light on the problem. I read about the Rewire prob on other forums, but I don't have that installed, currently just Logic and NI Komplete. I've done the OS reinstall now, and will follow up with Logic Studio when I have a spare couple of hours :)
    Thanks for all of your help!

Paul

15. Howard W

Howard W Member

I thought Komplete did install rewire?

If you're still crashing, check your crash logs, I'll bet you see rewire in there somewhere.

Howard

16. mk3

mk3 Senior member

Have you tried removing the NI plug-ins from the Components folder before launching Logic?

17. stuartf

stuartf New Member

Do you have the Melodyne Plug-in installed?

There was a problem with a version of this that crashed Logic every time. An update very quickly after the release of Logic Pro 8.0 solved this

Stuart

18. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Thanks for the continued suggestions, all.

Howard, I've checked, and I don't think that NI Komplete does install Rewire. I'm happy to be corrected if someone knows differently though.
    mk3, yes I did remove the NI plugins from the components folder before launching Logic. The crash still occurred, which I admit is suprising if the problem is Komplete related, but I guess maybe other hidden compenents are stored elsewhere?
    Stuart, no I don't have Melodyne installed, but thanks for the suggestion.

I've reinstalled the OS and Logic now, and Logic is working fine again. I was waiting to hear back from NI tech support before attempting to install Komplete 5 again, but they're taking so long to get back to me that I might just go ahead and try it again regardless!
    Thanks,

Paul

19. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

Hi,

I promised I'd report back with the results of my OS reinstall, particularly for Charlie, who is buying the same Mac Pro. Charlie, the good news is that it appears to be working fine now after a total reintall of the OS, Logic and Komplete 5. The bad news is that I'm not entirely sure why it works this time and didn't last time! The only major thing I did slightly differently was to run all 9 of the Komplete 5 updates *before* launching Logic, rather than afterwards, as I did first time. The other small difference was that I manually downloaded the update for Pro53, which the NI service centre incorrectly overlooks if you leave it set to automatic.
    So, it's not exactly scientific, but I hope this info might be of use to someone in the future.
    Thanks,

Paul

20. charlie

charlie Senior member

Paul, thank you for the report. It does help to hear about your experience because it just proves that when installing software, the stars need to be in proper allignment, or else!
    Not scientific at all and yet we all have computer stories like this with no explanation.
    My tower should be arriving in a day or two and I will be checking with my local shaman before installing Logic... ;)
    All the best with your new system, Paul. Hope we're both up & running & making music soon!

Charlie

21. Paul Zimmer

Paul Zimmer New Member

No probs Charlie - good luck :)

Paul