Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Pro X Command Z Issue

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by dangersoup, Mar 13, 2015.

1. dangersoup

dangersoup New Member

Hi all,

I'm running Logic Pro X on a 2014 Mac Pro 2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E3, Memory - 64GB 1867 MHz DDR3.

I've been running into this problem consistently in which every time I undo (command Z) anything I get the spinning wheel for a minimum of 8 seconds until it undos. I have been experiencing this problem only on large sessions and not so on small sessions. The thing is that I have a separate, almost identical rig in which I don't experience this problem. Would anyone have an idea why this might be happening? Thanks!
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Is your project on an external hard drive? Maybe it's spinning up when you perform the undo command?
  4. dangersoup

dangersoup New Member

Yes, it is. I am running my sessions on a Pegasus drive bay. I have run sessions on a similar rig without these problems, as well as on a smaller rig-- also without the undo problems.

On the problem rig I am running 4 instances of Vienna Ensemble Pro to a Mac Pro Slave (2009) connected directly via CAT5. On my similar rig I am running the same template to a newer Mac Mini Slave without these problems. Would it be possible that this could be a part of the problem?
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Does the energy saver preference cause disks to spin down?

Even with that off, some external disks do not pay attention to the preference, and spin down according to their own schedule.

Alternatives you can google:

1) a Terminal command to control spin down time (I think it's PMSET)

2) 3rd party utilities that will keep the disk spinning, for example,
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Bayswater - I could (virtually that is) kiss you! I have been pulling my hair out this past week over exactly this. I've just migrated from my old tower to a new iMac, and am running several external USB 3.0 drives (that were previously in my tower.) The problem is they keep spinning down, despite my settings in the Energy Saver preferences. I'm going to try out this utility.
  7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Glad to help after the zillion times you've helped me. If the drives worked in the old tower, the terminal command ought to work too. Apparently some WD drives will not respond to anything, and have spin down set internally.
  8. Eli

Eli Senior member

Ran that little applet yesterday and so far so good. The drives aren't spinning down. But they get hot. I miss my tower :-(
  9. dangersoup

dangersoup New Member

Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I was able to solve the problem by reconfiguring my thunderbolt ports. I previously had my drive that contained all of my sequences daisy chained to my drive bay that contains my samples. I switched the thunderbolt configurations so that each drive had their own dedicated port and the undo problem was solved! The issue must have been some sort of lag between the Mac and the sequences drive bay.