1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Pro X + Roland GI-20 = No Midi Guitar ???

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by wonderingabout, Jun 11, 2015.

1. wonderingabout

wonderingabout New Member

Hi,

I'm new to this group and pretty new to Logic X (mostly Pro Tools).

I don't know how to get Logic X to recognize a Roland GK Midi Interface:
    Roland GI-20.

It is a 13-pin midi to USB converter for midi guitar.

The issue may be specific to the GI-20 more than Logic X but I am approaching from both ends to try and solve this as quickly as possible.

Setup:
    Godin Freeway 13 Pin Midi Guitar
    Roland GI-20 13-Pin midi to USB Interface
    Macbook Pro 8,3
    Mac OS 10.10
    Logic Pro X 10.1.1

As initially stated -
    I am more familiar with Pro Tools -
    I am pretty new to Logic Pro X.

I used to just plug and play with this setup in Pro Tools with stock settings to get basic ideas out.

Haven't used the Godin / Roland GI-20 in a while.
    Now when I plug it in to my Macbook Pro via USB
    it does not recognize any midi data coming in.

I have a USB keyboard controller (AKAI LPK 25)
    and the virtual instruments in Logic X respond to that perfectly.

The guitar midi signal is definitely getting from the guitar to the GI-20 - because I can change patches with the toggle switch on the guitar.

Any idea what could be stopping the Gi-20 from talking to Logic X?

Any leads would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Hi there, welcome to the LUG.

I am not familiar with the Roland GI-20 so may not be able to offer advice specific to this device, but the first thing worth checking is that it is being recognised in Audio Midi Set Up. If it is not showing up there, Logic will not be able to see it. If it is, then create a logic project with some external midi tracks. Open the inspector to the let of the main window, click and hold the port parameter, you should find this in the track section of the inspector. There *should* be some reference here to the GI 20, as there should be for your Akai keyboard - in fact, it may simply be a matter of swapping one for the other.

HTH, or that someone experienced with the Roland controller can step in.

kind regards

Mark

4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Just to add to Mark's thorough reply-

Do you have the latest obsolete drivers for Mac OSX installed? If not, then you'll not see the GI-20 in the Audio MIDI Setup utility MIDI window as mentioned above.

http://roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=GI-20

Looks like Snow Leopard is that the last supported version of OSX. However, I've used it with Mt. Lion and perhaps briefly with Mavericks. Will check it out with Yosemite this evening and report back.

5. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

It seems like this has already been covered pretty accurately, and there's not really any other advice I can give, so I'll just give some background information, as another MIDI guitarist:

In general, very few Roland products are "USB MIDI class compliant." That means you'll need Roland custom drivers to use them with your Mac (and it also means, you can't just plug them into an iOS device and use them). It's possible that Pro Tools has it's own built-in MIDI thing going on that let you use your GI-20 without a driver, but that's the exception, not the rule.

Also, if you have questions specifically relating to MIDI guitar, let me direct you to the "V Guitars Forum" at: http://vguitarforums.com — you won't get any Logic help there, but you'll find people with all kinds of Roland Guitar gear to talk to.

Good luck!
    Orren

6. wonderingabout

First,
    let me say,
    you guys are great!

Thank you so much for your fast and thorough responses. The support is greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, I still have no go.

Do I have the obsolete Roland driver installed?
    - I do now - but still no go.

Is it recognized in Audio Midi Setup?
    - No

All I see there is:
    - IAC Driver
    - Network
    - AKAI LPD8
    - AKAI LPK25
    - CASIO USB-MIDI
    - Bluetooth

Well, is that it ? Game over?
    Theres got to be a work around to this, right?

I know I have a bootable Mac OS X 10.6 around because I created one when updating to SSD. Still, that would not be an ideal daily working scenario - booting into another startup disc to get regular work done or capture inspired moments.

Oy!

As advised, I'm going to post over at vguitarforums as well.

If you see any other avenue for me to pursue - please advise.

CSeye, if you discover anything with your setup, please let me know how you make out.

Thank you again, all. Your replies have zoomed me right in to what I needed to know.

7. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Looks like Yosemite has broken the Roland driver.
    The solution is to use a USB to MIDI cable. Hook up the MIDI In to GI-20 MIDI Out, etc, and the USB into your computer.

The mio will simply appear in the Audio MIDI Setup window after making connections.

Logic will receive MIDI from the GI-20.

After too much time agonizing over the decision, I picked up the mio because it does not require drivers. Works great with an old Tx81Z, and now, the GI-20.

http://www.amazon.com/iConnectivity-mio-1-out-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00CO5IRSG

Attached Files:

8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The solution: A USB to MIDI cable.

Forgot about the Roland drivers. My apologies.

9. wonderingabout

So, run a MIDI to USB cable from the MIDI OUT of the GI-20 to the USB of the Macbook Pro?

That's it!

I don't have a USB to MIDI cable here but can it be that simple?

That would be fantastic.

10. wonderingabout

Thank you, CSeye!

Can't believe I didn't think of that. Much appreciated!

11. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

It's that simple!

The white MIDI connector is In. Black is Out.
    The USB end goes into your computer.
    (Disregard the USB cable connected into the GI-20. It doesn't work with Yosemite)

12. wonderingabout

I'm ordering a cable now.

But I wanted to see something so I dug out my old mbox 2 and mbox pro and tried using each of them as a glorified midi converter (each has midi in and midi out).

Didn't work in Logic X.
    Didn't work in Pro Tools 9.

Still doesn't show up in Audio Midi Setup.

Weird.

I will get the cable.

And again, thank you!

13. wonderingabout

I'm cross posting someone's reply from vguitar forums:

"The GI 20 can run as a class compliant MIDI device. Its in the manual I can't remember where. I sold my GI 21 I got a GP 10. The gist of it is it's a firmware switch and you get to it by holding down some combination of buttons as you start up the device. I learned how to do it from the manual sorry I can't tell you more than that"

Wondering if that would cure the mBox issue.

Looking for manual now or if you happen to know the button combination for starting up as a class compliant device...

14. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

15. wonderingabout

Found it.
    Changed it.

Still do not see the device in Audio Midi Setup

Still doesn't work in Logic X

Still not working in Pro Tools.

Frustrated.

16. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

It will work with the USB to MIDI cable.

Once you have a connection, you'll find Logic to be an amazing DAW for use with MIDI guitar: Filtering out false triggers on input, adjusting velocity on input or after the fact, summing stacks for mono or poly mode layered synths, visual feedback via the MIDI monitor, and much more.

17. wonderingabout

Order tracking puts that cable here this evening.

I'll let you know how it works out.

I definitely need to get my Logic X skills honed - and specifically for Midi Guitar and the Voice to Midi functionality.

(Side note: I cannot believe there is no easily accessible tap tempo like in PT. Doesn't make sense to me that something that simple would be a multi-step process.)

Thanks for all your help on this! It is greatly appreciated.

18. wonderingabout

Well,

I got the mil cable
    hooked it up...

and I got nothing.

(I posted the rest of this over at vguitar forum as I know this is mainly a GI-20 troubleshooting issue at the moment)

I got the mio USB to MIDI cable -
    and it still doesn't work.

Now its on to troubleshooting:
    - is it the Godin Freeway?
    - Is it the GI-20?
    - Is it Logic X
    - Is it something else?

The Godin Freeway is connected to the to the GI-20
    the guitar/synth toggle switch is in the MIDI/SYNTH position
    and I can change patch numbers and parameters on the GI-20
    from the momentary toggle switch on the Godin.

To me that seems like proof that information is getting from the GODIN to the GI-20.

So that leaves the GI-20.

Am I missing something?

I don't remember having to do anything with the GI-20 to get it to just send signal before.

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?

19. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

To backup a step or two:
    - What version of Mac OSX are you using?
    - Mac model?

Your original question made me realize that Mac OSX Yosemite broke the GI-20 drivers. A post I found on the Roland forums confirmed this. https://rolandcanada.zendesk.com/entries/76430165-GI-20-doesn-t-work-with-Yosemite
    The solution per the Roland moderator: A USB to MIDI cable. Since I had one on hand, I was able to immediately confirm this as the solution.

Logic Pro X is not the issue.

Mio MIDI In white connector to MIDI out on the GI-20?
    Mio MIDI Out black connector to MIDI In on the GI-20?
    Mio USB to computer?

Does the Mio appear in the Mac OSX Audio MIDI utility?

Do you see MIDI input on the Logic control panel MIDI indicator? (Configure your control panel to Custom)

Do you have a Software instrument track with an instantiated instrument such as the EXS24?
    Is this track record-enabled?

Godin to GI-20: Does the tuner respond? String sensitivity? There are additional indicators of communication between your guitar the converter (GI-20)

Since this is not a Logic Pro X issue, your best bet would be to continue to pursue this over at the VG forum.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  20. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

CSsey again gave you fantastic advice; I would just add one more possible issue. Make sure that you have your MIDI track in Logic set to either MIDI channel "All" (the default) or the specific channel that your GI-20 is sending data on.

Good luck!
    Orren

21. CPWhite

CPWhite New Member

I am using the obsolete driver with Yosemite and it works fine...well, as good as it can. I use a Godin SA and GI-20 with Logic and with Ableton Live. Try using the uninstall program that comes with the driver then reinstall. I have not tried it with El Capitan yet.