1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Logic X , Backing track out to PA, Video out to projector, Click to drummer ...Can it be done?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by jfu222, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jfu222

jfu222 New Member

Hi Folks,

I guess I am hoping someone can tell me whether it's even possible to do this JUST using Logic X

- My band has no problem creating a dual sound card mix so that the house system receives the backing track (using a small usb I/O box) and the drummer receives the click ONLY (using the Macbook headphone jack as the second sound card)

- Of course things are now getting more complicated with the live set as we have video visuals.

- Is there a way to send the video out from logic to a projector? Basically creating a video track along with our backing track session and sending that signal out of the mabcbook to the projector ...so that everything is in sync?

Thanks. If some understands this and tells me "NO NOT POSSIBLE" it would save me a ton of time researching this rather than finding an alternate software solution.

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I've never tried this, but it might be possible. If you don't need to see Logic you could have the movie inside Logic in full screen mode and just use the video out from the computer.

4. jfu222

jfu222 New Member

Thanks Doug!

Unfortunately we would need to see the screen as the drummer would be cueing different tracks from that session. There should be a way to set the laptop into "two screen" mode though and feed the video (in full screen as you mentioned) to the projector while the session remains on "screen two"

I'll let you know how it goes.

5. SubBlack

SubBlack New Member

Yep, I have done this many times. You can create the audio in Logic, and you can also use Logic to combine a video with your stereo audio track. Does your laptop have an HDMI out? If not you can buy a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter and connect it to a projector.

Yes you can run two screens. To get different content on each window, take a look at yer System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement > uncheck the box at the bottom left that says "Mirror Displays" With this off, the video can go to the proj. and you can see yer daw.

If you are using a laptop, I recommend lowering the resolution of your video track to a video resolution of 1080p or even as low as 720. HD video slows some daws down so that audio or video playback gets jumpy. (Do you really think people are gonna pick out minute video details in a club anyway?)

And lastly, you should definitely run through some test runs of your show a coupla times without stopping, to see if it can handle playing for 30 - 60 min without any snags. Good luck!