Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X LogicVirtual instruments external data drive question...

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by GameBeat, Sep 16, 2016.

1. GameBeat

GameBeat New Member

Hello all,

I have a general question. I have two - 2TB external drives (two drives, 2TB each) that hold all of the data for my large collection of software instruments I use in logic pro X. I am talking libraries with many many GBs of sample data as this is where I locate the content for all of my installed software instruments (like close to 40 different large instrument libraries). I currently have NO backup of these drives and dread the thought of gathering and re-downloading all of the audio from their original sources.

My question is this... if I were to copy ALL of the files & folders on each of these drives onto two new 2TB drives, in the event of a drive failure would it be as simple as plugging in the copy of the backed up drive and I'm back up and running? Or would my virtual instruments FAIL to find their data files? There are actually so many folders, that I wouldn't even be able to manually reconnect the paths because some of the folder names are completely unrelated to the software plugin they are used by.

Would it be any different if instead of COPYING the data, I actually CLONED the drives to two new drives to use as a backups and since it is a CLONE and not just a copy, would it be easier for the software to easily find the same sample library folders as was on the original drive before swapping it for the clone?

I need a solution or some type that would MINIMIZE my headache and downtime if one of these 2terrabyte drives were to fail, as they are both filled to the brim with sample library data.

I would appreciate any advice or tips on the best possible solution/s.

Darryl Duncan
  3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I would clone them using something like Super Duper which you can quickly restore to the original drives or get the software to reference the backup drives.

Actually this is so crucial me I have three backups:

• A time machine drive in the cellar
    • Super Duper backup drives in the studio, but I put them in the shed when I go away
    • Backblaze cloud backup.
    Hopefully this covers fire & flood, theft, and basic user error/stupidity.
  4. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Just to add that Carbon Copy Cloner is another reliable cloning appication.