1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 8 Lost my install discs

Discussion in 'Logic 8' started by smeet, Aug 13, 2010.

1. smeet

smeet Member

Here's my sad story:

1) My old trusty G4 died, so today I ordered a new iMac.
    2) Since the G4 is dead, I can't use Migration Assistant (or whatever it's called).
    3) The old ATA HDs won't work in the new machine, so I will have to get a cable and transfer files manually to the new machine from the bare drives.
    4) Somehow I no longer have my Logic install/update discs. I know, stupid stupid me.

I have my serial numbers, manuals, etc. How can I avoid having to buy Logic again from scratch? Will Apple honor my serial numbers?

I'll try to copy the files from the old computer to the new one so that Logic works on the new machine, but I have no idea where all the stuff goes, I don't even know if it's possible to transfer the full application that way.

What should I do? I've been using Logic since version 2.6, and now I may have to buy it again...
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

If you have your XSkey, it shouldn't be a problem to buy the Logic 9 upgrade and just go straight to that. One potential problem could be, if you have also mislaid your Logic 7 disks and therefore can't install Logic 7, you will have not be able to access very old (pre logic 5) arrangements.

However, if this isn't an issue for you, you could just go straight to Logic 9 and have a nice clean install on your new Mac. The logic 9 installer will want to see the XSKey once in order to check that you are entitled to the upgrade, after that you won't need it (but make sure you store it in a safe place!)

kind regards

4. smeet

smeet Member

I don't think I have my XSkey any more... So the serial number by itself isn't enough?
  5. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

If you had upgraded to Logic during the XS-Key phase (Logic 5,6,7), then that blue or white XS-Key is proof that you are an owner (because you sent back your original big square dongle(s) from Logic 1/2/3/4). But even if you still had the ancient square dongle(s), it doesn't qualify for upgrading to Logic 8 or 9 or beyond anyway.

Therefore, your serial number for Logic 8 or 9 is only good for the upgrade (which relies on you plugging in your XS-Key while you install).

The disks are identical whether you bought the upgrade or the entire new package. It was only the serial number which dictated whether or not you needed to prove you were upgrading from a previous version or not.
  6. smeet

smeet Member

I'm sorry, I still don't get it.

I had the blue XS Key, but I haven't used it for a long time, and I didn't think I would ever need it again. Due to our latest move to the new house, I can't find it.

So are you saying that I cannot do the install/upgrade without the XS Key?
    Some people have said the serial number was enough.
  7. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

The only way the Logic Studio 8/9 upgrade knows you legitimately owned the previous version of Logic Gold/Platinum/Pro 5/6/7 is to physically plug in your XS-Key while you install. That would have been the only way you installed the upgrade to Logic 8 in the first place.

There is a more expensive upgrade to Logic Studio 8/9 that relies on you having baby versions of Logic (like Express), and since those versions of Logic had serial numbers (and no XS-Key), then obviously the serial number is required instead.

Always assume you might need to re-install everything from scratch again, and therefore keep all things necessary to do so. That includes physical things (discs, dongles...) and intangible things (serial numbers, authorization codes, responses to challenges, logon/password to software companies' websites...).
  8. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

smeet, you say you haven't used your XSKey in a long time - that suggests to me that you had already upgraded to L8 on the G4, right? If that's the case, then your L8 serial number will be OK. I know because I just had the same experience, dead computer, new L9, couldn't find the XSKey etc. The L9 upgrade from L8 serial number worked fine. HTH
  9. smeet

smeet Member

Yes, I had already upgraded to L8. I talked to Jon Jacobs in the Logic group at Apple, and he assured me that the upgrade should work for me with just the serial number. I should find out tonight... My quad iMac and the Logic upgrade showed up yesterday! I set the machine up and it's awesome, I feel like I'm living in the future! Tonight I'll install Logic.
  10. smeet

smeet Member

Going through the installation process now, it just wanted my serial number so I'm good. The installation is taking forever though, an hour or more per disc. And when each disc is first put in, it has a huge estimate for time remaining, anywhere from 15 to 300 hours. It gets smaller, but why is it so inaccurate with its estimates?
  11. sonnykeyes

sonnykeyes Senior member

I think it's calculating time remaining based on how fast data is copying at that moment, so while it's sizing up the next data block the data flow is very slow, resulting in those 300 hour estimates. I also believe the estimates are based on a worst-case drive-speed constant that doesn't take into account your machine's possible improvement. It took me a full evening to install L9, and that is normal, I think. Enjoy the new software! (I'm still getting used to it)