1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LP 9 and K2000 Samples

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by calgman, Sep 16, 2014.

1. calgman

calgman New Member

Hi,

I need help on how to push K2000 samples - collected, created over time - in KRZ format from Logic Pro 9 to the keyboard.

Regards,
    Sam

PS: Noob-alert :)

3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I assume when you say "push" the samples to the keyboard, you're not talking about getting the KRZ files back onto the K2000. If you created them on the K2000, presumably you can get them back there without Logic.

So what are you asking? How to use the samples inside Logic and play them using a MIDI keyboard connected to Logic?

4. calgman

calgman New Member

My apologies for being not clear in my question:

I have a numerous KRZ files that I created on K2000, and had saved them on a hard disk connected to it, but the disk has gone bad. Fortunately, I had taken periodic backups on my computer. I want to load them on K2000 from my Imac - and that's where I need some help.

Regards, and thanks.
    -Sam-

5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Not a simple thing to do.

Is the floppy drive on your K2000 working? If so, you can create Kurzweil floppies and put the sample on those and the K2000 will read them. You'd have to get an external USB floppy drive to connect to your iMac. Dell used to sell these for next to nothing. You can probably find one in a used PC shop. You have to use DOS formatted floppy disks, and copy the .krz files to it. Getting a DOS formatted disk might involve getting help from a fried with a PC. I've found that disks formatted for DOS or Windows using Apple's DiskUtility are not always readable by the K2000, and those that are work quite slowly. DOS formatting on an Atari works better if you happen to have one of those laying around.

Of course if you have access to a older PC, you can copy the samples over with a USB stick, and format and make the K2000 floppies on that.

If the floppy drive on the K2000 is dead, or if any individual sample won't fit on a floppy, it gets more complicated. You need 1) an app that reads .krz files, and 2) an app that supports MIDI Sample Dump Standard. MachFive does the former and DSP-Quattro does the latter. You might find an app that does both. You might even find free utilities to this, but they are likely to be old OS 9 apps. I don't think ESX24 in Logic will read these, but it's worth a try.

So you'd read the .krz files into app 1 and save them in a format that app 2 can read, e.g. AIF, or WAVE, or SD2 are likely bets. Then use app 2 to transfer the samples to the K2000 over MIDI. This is very slow. An old Mac with a SCSI interface connected to the K2000 SCSI port will do it a lot faster.

I anticipated the problem you have, and made floppy disk images of all my K2000 stuff and stored those on my Mac backup disk. The floppies can be recreated at any time. And I can use MachFive and DSP-Quattro to get samples back and forth, but this is an expensive option.

6. calgman

calgman New Member

Thank you very much for the detailed response. I will have to go investigate the app1/app2 route because my floppy reader is busted. I will come back and report my findings.

=Sam=

7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Finding an old SCSI drive at a used PC store might be an alternative too.