1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LPX missing features or are they just hidden?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by sohosteve, Oct 13, 2014.

1. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

I wonder if someone out there can help me find my way 'back'!
    I've been using Logic on a daily basis since 1998 and am currently struggling to get up to the speed of work flow that I had on LP9 due to the new interface and seemingly 'lost' functions that I took for granted in the old versions.
    One of these regards the choice of two mute buttons - one on the side of the track in the arrange window and the option of a second on the mixer page that operated independently of each other.
    Also how do I alt click drag a track to make a copy of the track without it making a copy of all the objects on that track?
    I used this a hell of a lot when chopping parts as I could mute one incident of the track, pull the regions I didn't want to hear onto that track and re-jig parts quickly work up a comp with random and repeating elements or swap a snare for a hi hat or whatever.
    Is it still possible to duplicate a track and have one version muted - and I DON'T mean make a fresh track with the same settings - it won't act in the same way
    ie one has a long audio file that is playing but as soon as you place a smaller region in the timeline of the copy track it cuts to that and then back to the other at the end of that short region.
    Sorry if I'm not explaining this clearly but I'm in the midst of a fractured work flow that I need to get back to...
    Extremely frustrating!
    It's great when programmers add new stuff but why take away the stuff that has been a 'go to' for a lot of us??
    I guess they know 'best'.
    NOT!!:brkwl:

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

The feature you are looking for is still there, but implemented differently than in Logic 9. Go to the configure track header window (Option T) and enable the "power" button. (It's disabled in the default view.) A new button will appear in the track header. Use this button to "turn off" individual tracks that are assigned to the same channel strip.

4. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

Hi Eli
    Thanks for your kind reply.
    Would I be right in thinking that when you refer to the 'power' button you mean the 'on/off' button?
    If so, how do I make a duplicate of the same track?
    It used to work by alt click dragging the track downward and a second version of the track would appear underneath without any regions on it.
    However if I alt click drag a track now it makes a brand new track with a copy of all the regions.
    So Audio 21 with all the regions doesn't make another of copy of Audio 21 with no regions - it makes Audio 22 with exact copies of all the regions - which is not what I'm trying to achieve at all.
    Sorry if I didn't explain very well before!

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Steve,

No worries, you were crystal clear; I just neglected to answer the other part of your questions?

Yes, I am referring to the on/off button (I didn't have logic open when I replied earlier). In terms of duplicating the track with the same channel strip assignment, there is a dedicated menu and key command for it. I use the key command all the time, control+shift+return. It is under the Track menu as well, in the "Other" sub menu.

Attached Files:

6. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

Aha!
    Thanks Eli, you're a star - you've led me to the right place though the key command I was looking for is alt command S - New Track With Same Channel.
    That is a workaround for sure - a little more of a pfaff - I used to just click drag the track and bingo! I could mute the dupe and work from there.
    Thanks to Apple I now have to click alt cmd s, add an extra button that takes up track real estate and work from there...
    Not your fault, but an added ar*e when the program is meant to be something you DON'T think about.
    Logic keeps doing this - every time there's an upgrade I lose a handy short cut.
    It used to be easy to toggle between tools (all mine appear on the number keys) where I could hit the same button to get back to the prior tool.
    ie 5 is my scissors - so I hit 5 cut a region - hit it again it's back to the arrow tool.
    Anyone know how I can make that happen again?
    I gave up asking back when 7 became 8 but I still miss it...

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

All the tools are still freely assignable in the key commands window.

8. sohosteve

sohosteve Member

Hi Eli
    Yes, I do realise that and do have my key commands in place.
    However, a few versions of Logic back (not entirely sure when this happened) but it seemed to 'steal' my toggle tool function as previously described.
    ie key numbered 1 is my arrow key, 2 is my eraser etc
    What I mean by toggle is that when I hit 5 to change my arrow to the scissor tool I can toggle back to the arrow by hitting 5 again, NOT having to hit 1 to get back to it's designated tool.
    Or if I hit 2 to erase something, when I hit 2 again I'm back with my standard arrow tool again.
    It's the toggle function that I can't find.
    And it ain't just me.
    I ran this past some Logic experts (on here at the time, and good pals who also use Logic professionally) and they all arrived at the same conclusion - it's not possible any longer!
    I know this probably seems like small potatoes, but when you have a program set up a certain way and have a super fast work flow based around these commands, every time you lose one and have to replace one key pressed with two or three, or a trip down 'menu lane'... well, you know what I mean.. it's boring and time wasting..
    Oh well, I guess I'll just have to find another way around Logic's constant additions to it's foibles ;-)