Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Os playback at 44.1 or 48Khz?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by afavreau, Jan 11, 2013.

1. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

I should know this but...

If you have a Quicktime file at 48Khz, should my Soundcard or Mac OS Built-in Speakers be at 48Khz too?

Does it slightly change the speed of the playback if not?

Thanks

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Yes it should, otherwise the sound will be played at the incorrect pitch.

I am assuming you are talking about from within Logic, right? If not, I believe the system will do a real time sample rate conversion.

4. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

I'm talking about the system because when I change the sample rate in Logic, it also changes it in my RME interface.

However, when I play a 48Khz audio file in Quicktime through the system, I can see that Audio/Midi Setup doesn't adjust sample rate.

The reason I ask is because I recorded a track in Logic, than sent it to my wife's MacBook Pro for her to record a Screencast in iShowU. She played the audio with Quicktime going through Soundflower back into iShowU while recording her screen movements.

When I brought back the .mov in Logic, the audio (and video) was longer than the original audio we recorded in Logic! It was very gradually stretched compare to the original.

I'm totally puzeled by this one...

5. afavreau

afavreau Senior member

Geesh... my fault!?!?

I somehow moved the regions in Logic putting audio out of sync!?!

Will SMPTE lock my audio next time. I guess that's what it's there for!

Thanks