1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Pro 3.1 ok with Logic ProX and Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by chaijen, Apr 6, 2015.

1. chaijen

chaijen New Member

I just updated my Mac Pro 3.1 2,8 ghz Quadcore 12gb ram from Mountain Lion with Logic 9 to Yosemite. Now I am hesitating a whether this was a good move and b if it is ok to run Logic Pro X on this machine or will it be too weak?

With Logic 9 and Mountain Lion it was running ok..

I read that some people suggest older OS and Logic versions for older machines.

What do you suggest for this MAcPro (apart from getting a new one ;-)
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

I have the exact same MacPro and love it. It is absolutely the best Mac I have ever owned over the past twenty three years. I upgraded it to Yosemite several months ago. I have to reluctantly admit that it was starting to feel a bit pokey when using it with modern bleeding edge third party plug-ins. It's fine on it's own with LPX 10.1. You'd probably be better off doing a fresh clean install rather than upgrading from Mountain Lion. It's a lot of work, but worth it in the long run if you want to squeeze another year or so out of your tower.

I very recently upgraded to the newest fully spec'd iMac. While it runs fine, and is a lot snappier than my old 3,1 Mac Pro; I miss my tower. I loved having the four drives all housed in that one quiet enclosure. It's a PITA managing multiple drives now; they're all hanging off various hubs and adaptors. It all works, but it's not as elegant as my old tower.

All this to say, yes, the 3,1 towers run fine with LPX. But if you need to also run a lot of demanding soft synths and plug-ins, you may have to make some compromises.
  4. chaijen

chaijen New Member

Mac Pro 3.1

I dont run a big amount of plugins so that sounds good.
    I am about to update the system drive to an SSD which will probably bring a performance boost.
    Any suggestion for a better graphics card for the Mac Pro 3.1?