1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac Pro Screen Flash Clicking Sound

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by redember, Jul 28, 2013.

1. redember

redember New Member

Hi. I'm extremely worried that some part of my hardware is dying.

Whilst in the middle of a logic 9 session the screen started to do the white flashing thing (like when u click outside a prompt box - but constantly). There is also a loud clicking sound from the mac and erratic mouse behaviour. The sound is not what I would usually associate with quieter drive related sounds.
    (Please see short videos below)

The sound is constant but stops when say, I use iTunes but resumes as soon as I click to the desktop.

I've backed up everything. Also done a time machine backup. I can't boot up without pressing the shift key as it will boot straight into the apple hardware test mode (never seen that before). I've done a disk utility check from Osx CD and disk repair/verifying .. Nothing seems to help.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Can anyone suggest any remedies?

I'm pretty much freakin out big time :(

Mac Pro 5.1 quad core intel 3.20ghz 8mb ram Osx
  3. redember

redember New Member

Well, I got some sound advice from a nice gal on Whirlpool....

I dug around more...in fact i had found my old long forgotten klunky applekeyboard (shoved out of sight that i left plugged into the USB daisy chain to use its spare usb ports)... it had a cord wrapped around it.. finally yesterday tightening enough to trigger the non-stop key press of confusion.

causing the error flashing and clicking sound.