Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MacBook Pro 2014 good enough?

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by GanthetB, Mar 24, 2014.

1. GanthetB

GanthetB New Member

Hi all,
    I'm considering selling my 2010 iMac and moving to a 15" MacBook Pro with Retina. I am running Logic Pro X currently and Komplete 9 along with Amplitube 3. I mostly record guitars and use virtual amps from Guitar Rig 5 and Amplitube 3. I'd venture to say that a typical song for me would have about 10 tracks with most of them being virtual synths and drums but only 3 or 4 audio tracks with guitar.

What kind of performance can I expect if I get a MacBook Pro with the following specs (I will be recording to the internal SSD drive and then offloading completed projects to external storage when complete)

• 2.3 GHz quad-core i7
    • 16 GB ram
    • 1 TB flash drive
    • 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT750m

Also, if I went with an external drive for audio tracks would UBS 3.0 suffice or do I need to go thunderbolt?
  3. GanthetB

GanthetB New Member

No responses? :(
  4. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I have been using a very similar MBP to yours, the only difference is, mine has a 2.6 GHz CPU. The performance is IMO spectacular - about 50% faster than my old 8 core Mac Pro which never flinched at anything I threw at it, including band projects running some 80 tracks of double sample rate audio, lots of Audio Units etc.

USB 3 should be fine for audio, you may want to look at an expansion such as the Belkin TB Hub, one criticism I have of the Notebook is the lack of expansion with only 2 USB slots, no FW, ethernet, S-ATA etc.

kind regards