1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Mackie Controls ok - how about Emagic Logic Control?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Patrick Randall, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Hello,
    new member here - looks very helpful place!

I'm about to jump from my old PC based Logic 5.5 to L9 on a (what sort of?) Mac. I currently use an ancient Emagic Logic Control and Mackie XT through an AMT8.

Will they work on with L9 does anyone know?

Someone told me Mackie Controls are ok but now I wonder about my Emagic one. I'd be lost without it.

If it does/will work, does everything work the same?
  3. mattrixx

mattrixx Senior member

No problem, the Logic Control is still supported.
  4. zerobeat

zerobeat Senior member

A Logic Control is the same as a Mackie Control in "Logic" mode (as opposed to "HUI" mode or "Cubase" mode etc....).

Five or more years ago, Mackie (for US$99) had a kit that turned a Logic Control into a Mackie Control. This was useful if you wanted to use your Logic Control in software other than Logic.
  5. Petrosil

Petrosil Member

Right, this kit contained both a firmware chip and a software update and turned a Logic Control (or original Mackie Control) into a Mackie Control Universal.

However there's a free firmware update available that adds the Mackie Control mode to a Logic Control (Logic Control firmware 1.0.2). This is a software update only, no EEPROM change required.

The difference between an updated Logic Control and the Mackie Control Universal upgrade kit is that the MCU additionally features the HUI protocol. A Logic Control with updated firmware only has Logic Control and Mackie Control mode, no HUI emulation.

6. What's a HUI protocol? I guess I don't need it for Logic.
    I will be getting Final Cut Pro soon - is that a consideration I wonder?
    Sorry to be so thick.
  7. Petrosil

Petrosil Member

The HUI originally is a control surface unit/monitor controller manufactured by Mackie. The control data sent by this unit (the control surface protocol) is emulated by some other gear, e.g. many digital mixing desks emulate the HUI. The HUI originally was intended for use with Protools.
    Right, the Logic Control works far better in Logic.
    No, Final Cut supports Logic/Mackie Control/XT units. So no need for a HUI emulation.

8. Much obliged chaps.