1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mackie-Onyx Blackbird?

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by robgb, Aug 7, 2010.

1. robgb

robgb Member

Has anyone heard anything pro or con about this unit? All I've been able to find are press releases that all repeat the same thing.

This thing looks very sweet to me, at a terrific price, but I've heard of some problems with Mackie firewire in the past and don't want to jump too quickly.

3. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

I don't think that it's actual shipping product yet, which is why you haven't heard much else than what Mackie has circulated. You probably won't hear much more till it actually starts shipping...
  4. robgb

robgb Member

Hmm. You'd think that some of the reviewers would have gotten an early unit. It's my understanding it ships next week.
  5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

In all likelihood they have.

kind regards

6. chugbry

chugbry New Member

Mackie Onyx 400F working fine here, never had an issue with it.....
    I just kept the firmware up to date that's all.... (caveat - I haven't tried it with OSX 10.6.x though)

If the Blackbird is superior to the the Onyx I'd use it anytime... the only comment I'd make is that I sometimes feel the I/O A/D converters are too "pure" if that makes sense? Maybe I mean too digital?
    But I just use my old ProTools 002 rack to throw in some colour if I need it :) or use different mic's, etc, etc....

7. tim.hoeksema

tim.hoeksema New Member

Hey I'm a new user, first post here! I own a Onyx 400F as well and can't say enough good things about it. I picked it up for next to nothing on Craigslist, and have had some great luck with it. I got pretty excited about the new Blackbird because of the Lightpipe I/O's, I'll definitely look into this interface when it's time for me to upgrade.
  8. Discrete

Discrete New Member

I don't know how they're selling this unit at this price-point. I've owned a 400F for a year or two. I love the way it sounds. Very clean and mostly transparent. But it only has 4 Onyx preamps, and they're selling a unit with 8 for about $300 less. Where are they saving money? I wonder if it's the same A/D D/A converters. The construction of this new unit doesn't look as nice as the 400F, but that's a small consideration considering what you get.
  9. bambony

bambony Administrator Staff Member

The converters are supposed to be even better...

It looks like they are going for market share with this one and they'll get it if it delivers. It's in the shops now and I'm trying my best to hold off!