1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Studio apps MainStage 2 Feedback

Discussion in 'MainStage' started by Orren Merton, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

I've been really enjoying MainStage 2. It's really easy to construct a fun Concert of Amp Designer amps, a cool pedalboard, and just play! :) I'm at the stage of getting enough songs together to start playing live again, and it's looking like my rig will be my MacBook Pro and MainStage 2! And a few custom guitars, of course. ;)

And speaking of MainStage 2, I wanted to post the MainStage 2 feedback address here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/mainstage.html

If you have some ideas, or if you've found some bug or issue, posting here is a good way to reach other users, but the address above will get it right Apple. As ever, don't count on a response, but this is the best way to make a difference and get issues right to the developers.

Orren

3. Brian Stone

Brian Stone Member

Could you share with us what your favorite features are and why you use MainStage 2 over something else. Is it significantly improved over v1.0? How is memory handling? or CPU performance compared to v1?

4. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Senior member

I'm interested in this too. Mainstage 2 could be the reason I need to upgrade to Logic 9.

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Well there is no something else, really. :)

Yes. Better layout mode with more and groupable objects, selectable program change input on concert level, more routing possibilities, MIDI out. There's more but I got quickly used to version 2, did not compare single features. It's just the case that I could not use Mainstage 1 for live sessions but can play with Mainstage 2.

I don't see much difference. Needs lots of memory and CPU. I use Kontakt and/or Rapture as standalone instruments and Sculpture only in very small concerts.

6. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

I use MainStage 2 to create virtual guitar rigs. I set the plug-ins that I want to use in the channel strips, then create the "look" of my virtual guitar rig in layout mode, and save the Concert.

As Peter already said, there is nothing else that does what MainStage does. There are other applications that you can use as plug-in hosts, but none let you map controls to software this intuitively, and then create such a nice performance view of everything you need.

And it's an absolute rock solid application. Obviously, Apple understands that an application that professionals will depend on for live use is useless if it's crashing the system. I'm happy to say that while all applications have their little quirks here and there, MainStage has never crashed on me.

I would say so. It has some very useful features that the previous version didn't. If you wanted to Rewire an application up to MainStage, or send MIDI to external instruments using MainStage, you can do it with v2, and you couldn't with v1. For example, I have an Egnater MOD50 tube amp that is MIDI switchable. I can use the "external instrument" strip in MainStage two to change channels on my amp, then use Pedalboard and other effects in MainStage to be my floorboard. That wasn't possible in MainStage 1.

In general, I'd say that with more objects to choose from, the Playback instrument, looper, etc. even people who aren't using it's other features will find something to like. But even MainStage 1.0 was extremely capable.

I haven't noticed a difference, but I also haven't been looking. To be honest, since I'm really not using heavy software instruments, but effects for live guitar, both MainStage 1 and MainStage 2 have had very reasonable CPU loads for me.

Hope that helps!
    Orren