1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Studio apps Mainstage Cracking/Choking-?

Discussion in 'MainStage' started by mtjkeys, Aug 5, 2013.

1. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

Hi LUG/Mainstage Users,

I'm using MS 2.2.2 with an Intel Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.8, 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 and 4G RAM. Machine is maxed out on RAM.

Been using Mainstage since 10/12. All through this I've been experiencing MS cracking (distorting-?), and I guess good old choking. I'm running Ivory Pianos (with a remote 7200 RPM Lacie HD), GPO, Arturia Minimoog and all the other Logic/GB plugins, etc. I'm NOT using and audio interface. I'm using a pretty heavy Monster stereo cable into the 1/8" headphone jack on the laptop to input sound. I'm using quite a few sounds on each patch and wondering if it's too many. I play 95+% solo. I basically alternate between an acoustic type patch and electric within a concert. Kurzweil pc88mx is the main board and 2 M-audio oxygen keyboards. Kurz has 3 sounds running on it, one M-audio controller I'm using as bass has 8 out 9 sliders programmed with acoustic bass, Electric, Fretless, Moog bass, Sub Bass, Arco Bass, Legato Cello and lower piano keyboard (Ivory). Another 61 M-Audio has 9 sliders, plus a knob programmed with varying solo sounds, flute, B3, Clav, Minimoog lead sounds. I alias a lot of them from patch to patch where acoustic or electric sounding patch it what I need for a particular tune.

Technically, I'm just guessing, with all this going, I need a better connection between my Macbook to my Mackie mixer. I know nothing about load limits of MS or even my Macbook, I just assumed if it was running it's OK. I hope this isn't too vague or specific at the same. I'm totally puzzled..

I have MOTU828mkii and all the software for it has already been installed on The Macbook. I really don't want to pull it out of the rack it's in to use on gigs. Guess if it boils down to another AI, like to get one with XLR connectors, couple mike pre's, firewire 800.

Regards,

Tim
    mtjkeys

Please, any thoughts about this I would have no qualms with any help.

3. mtjkeys

mtjkeys Member

Edited Reply

Looking for a reply, opinion oplease.

Hi LUG/Mainstage Users,

I'm using MS 2.2.2 with an Intel Macbook Pro OSX 10.6.8, 2.4 Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 and 4G RAM. Machine is maxed out on RAM.

Been using Mainstage since 10/12. All through this I've been experiencing MS cracking (distorting-?), and I guess good old choking. I'm running Ivory Pianos (with a remote 7200 RPM Lacie HD), GPO, Arturia Minimoog and all the other Logic/GB plugins, etc. I'm NOT using and audio interface. I'm using a pretty heavy Monster stereo cable into the 1/8" headphone jack on the laptop to input sound. I'm using quite a few sounds on each patch and I'm wondering if it's too many. I play 95+% solo. I basically alternate between an acoustic type patch and electric within a concert. Kurzweil pc88mx is the main board and 2 M-audio oxygen keyboards. Kurz has 3 sounds running on it, one M-audio controller I'm using as bass has 8 out 9 sliders programmed with acoustic bass, Electric, Fretless, Moog bass, Sub Bass, Arco Bass, Legato Cello and lower piano keyboard (Ivory). Another 61 M-Audio has 9 sliders, plus a knob programmed with varying solo sounds, flute, B3, Clav, Minimoog lead sounds. I alias a lot of them from patch to patch where acoustic or electric sounding patch is what I need for a particular tune.

Technically, I'm just guessing, with all this running, I need a better connection between my Macbook to my Mackie mixer. I know nothing about load limits of MS or even my Macbook, I just assumed if it was running it's OK. I hope this isn't too vague or specific at the same. I'm totally puzzled..

I have MOTU828mkii and all the software for it has already been installed on The Macbook. I really don't want to pull it out of the rack it's in to use on gigs. Guess if it boils down to another AI, like to get one with XLR connectors, couple mike pre's, firewire 800.

Regards,

Tim
    mtjkeys

4. mmm42

mmm42 Senior member

All audio applications will have audio dropouts if you try too much with the computer. There is no rule of thumb. In MS 2.2.2 you only have the CPU meter to guess how much you can do, in MS 3 the app can tell you which plugin might be the worst offender.