1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Studio apps Mainstage duplicate layout for 2 instances?

Discussion in 'MainStage' started by oortone, May 25, 2010.

1. oortone

oortone Member

Lets say I have EXS24 on channel strip 1. I also have a lot of controllers mapped and assigned to it, from my hardware midicontroller via layout to EXS24. Sending/recieving on midi channel 1.

Now I want to add an identical setup for channelstrip 2 on midichannel 2, and still keep the mappings for channelstrip 1. I want to be able to go between the two channelstrips just by changing which midichannel my hardware sends on.

(Both are going to be controlled multitimbrally by a sequencer later on.)

I've tried to reimport the layout (to dupicate it) in various ways but I haven't figured out how to do this without destroying the assignments for the first strip. Is it possible or do I have to do all the assignments by hand for each new instance?
  3. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

Try copying the patch as an alias! Here's how: In the Edit View drag and drop the patch while holding down alt and shift. Or copy it as a new original patch; dragging with only alt held down.
  4. oortone

oortone Member

Sorry, I can't see how that would affect the layout in any way. I want to duplicate the assignments in the layout and then assign the new copy to another midi-in channel and channels trip. Both are going to be played simultaneously in the end.
  5. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

At concert level you can set the MIDI channel for a patch. You can also create different keyboard objects in the Design View and have them listen to different MIDI channels (and then chose the appropriate Keyboard object as the MIDI input for objects in a patch)
  6. oortone

oortone Member

Yes, but do I have to make the assignments by hand for each new instance/midichannel/channel strip. That's my question.

I was planning to use four channels and a bunch of Mainstage/Logic plugins in various combinations. That's A LOT of wiring to do and I was hoping I didn't have to multiply it by four also.
  7. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Horizontally, for similar channelstrips, yes.
    Vertically, for similar patches, no.

Horizontally you can duplicate an instrument channelstrip and set another MIDI input ("keyboard") but to control it individually you have to make the mappings for that. You need either another set of screen controls or multimappings and both must be configured manually. In most cases this is not a big deal because you do it only once for a series of similar patches.

Vertically, if your patches are almost identical, you simply copy the patches and they stay mapped to the same screen controls.

You have to do it four times.

Duplicate the channelstrip and map another set of screen controls to it or, if you want to control all strips at once, add multimappings to your single set of screen controls.

If your channelstrips contain identical effects like the same reverb or delay, don't put them into each channel but rather use sends.
  8. oortone

oortone Member

Thanks for clearing that out.
    Now I know how it works and what I must do.