Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic TDM Marriage

Discussion in 'Logic TDM' started by midnightsun, Aug 7, 2009.

1. midnightsun

midnightsun New Member

Is there any such thing as a good marriage between Logic and PT. Last fall I switched from Logic Pro 8 to PTHD3 with a D Command running PT8. I am liking the PT setup but would like to switch hit and am wanting to get some realistic expectations so have some basic questions.

1. I presume that I can launch Logic Pro on my G5 Quad and use my PT converters which are actually a couple of Aurora 16s. What preferences do I need change to make this happen?

2. I am concerned that if I start using Logic and switch hitting that I would make PTHD3 unstable which is why I have held off on doing so for the past 6 months. Is this a realistic concern? I presume that going back and forth would just be a matter of changing preferences!!!! What preferences. After changing preferences would I have reboot the computer.

3. Is it possible to use my TDM plugins with Logic?

4. When I first switched over to PT from Logic last Fall I recall that I could only get 8 of my 32 I/O to show up in Logic.

5. Is a G5 adequate for running current versions of Logic.

3. Gio

Gio Member

Hey midnight,
    Bunch of us here have similar setups and workflows.
    >1. I presume that I can launch Logic Pro on my G5 Quad and use my PT converters which >are actually a couple of Aurora 16s. What preferences do I need change to make this >happen?

Yes, Use the Digi Core Audio Driver, or if the auroras have some drivers that the Mac's core audio system see's then Logic will adress them directly, independant of PT.

>2. I am concerned that if I start using Logic and switch hitting that I would make >PTHD3 unstable which is why I have held off on doing so for the past 6 months. Is this >a realistic concern? I presume that going back and forth would just be a matter of >changing preferences!!!! What preferences. After changing preferences would I have >reboot the computer.

If you are going to use PT and Logic at the same time, you might have to use different drivers for the audio. PT takes complete control of its hardware as soon as it is launched, Logic will not be able to address the Auroras while PT is running. Now if you run them one at a time, there are no troubles. Logic will talk to the auroras as needed and you can switch all you need for your session (sample rate, bit depth etc..). Once you quit and boot PT then PT will manage its hardware the way it always does.
    no pref changes needed.

3. Is it possible to use my TDM plugins with Logic?

No. nor RTAS. Thats all Digi stuff. Unless you Load (in Logics audio drivers pref) TDM and/or Direct I/O. that will let you address the TDM bus directly. Then you can have your TDM stuff, but none of the native plugs (BRILLIANT!!! geez). You'll also need to set up TDM objects in your session.

4. When I first switched over to PT from Logic last Fall I recall that I could only get 8 of my 32 I/O to show up in Logic.

Thats the AMAZING BONUS feature of DIGI's fascinating thought process, "buy all this stuff, but we'll only let you address one quarter of it UNLESS you use PT and ONLY PT"
    Amazing eh?

Now, do the Auroras have a driver of sorts, can the mac Core Audio see the 32 channels? If the OS sees all your inputs and outputs of the auroras, then do not use Digi core audio driver, it'll only give you 8 in and out. Use the Mac Core Audio driver, and in System Prefs (Mac OS) set Sound to input and output through your auroras.

5. Is a G5 adequate for running current versions of Logic.

Yes sort of. Mac Pro is less problematic, but the G5 will do. once I quit either app, I have to give the computer some time before booting the next (audio) app. my G5 locks up if I quit PT and boot Logic(and vice versa) too quickly afterwards.

Good Luck
    Ciao
    Gio

4. Gio

Gio Member

to add to that last comment on the G5.
    On the Mac Pro, I dont have a lockup problem when switching programs quickly.

5. midnightsun

midnightsun New Member

Hello Gio:

Many thanks for the detailed and fast reply to my basic questions. I am going to give it a try.

1. My Aurora converters are connected to my computer through a Digi Link cable directly to the PT PCIe cards so I am thinking that I am going to be stuck using the "digi hardware" as PTHD thinks that the Aurora converts are Digi converters (I presume!). I suppose that I can just do most of my processing ITB rather than mixing on my analog console. I can accept that if I have to.

2. Regarding TDM plugins being recognized by Logic. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around how that happens. I own a ton of TDM plugins that I occasionally use when my outboard gear doesn't do the trick (McDSP, SoundToys, Eventide are among my favorites). I would love to have access to these plugins. I digress from my goal at hand to comment that I actually miss a good many of the Logic plugins that came right out of the box with Logic Pro 7 and 8. Apple always does a great job of keeping the market place stirred up-- for good or bad I love it.

6. Gio

Gio Member

Hey Midnight.
    You can access your TDM stuff only through TDM tracks (objects) on your timeline. these tracks behave like any PT tracks within Logic, they can open any TDM plugin that you have. The downfall is that these tracks can ONLY have TDM, and not a combination of TDM and AU. The output of these will come out your PT hardware on your console, and any Core Audio tracks you have will come out the Mac's hardware (an RME Fireface 800 in my case). There is a way to internally "bridge" TDM to a common output, but it has never worked dependably for me through Direct TDM (in Logic's audio driver prefs).
    To set up TDM tracks in Logic, go to the audio prefs in Logic, click on the drivers tab, within there you'll see a core audio tab, a DAE tab and a Direct TDM tabs. enable these too. then each track you create you can tell it which device to use.
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck
    Ciao
    Gio

7. midnightsun

midnightsun New Member

Thanks for so clearly articulating the concepts of beinging Logic and PT together. I can see that there is some real potential. I've got a big tracking session tomorrow so will start experimenting after that.