1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Rodney D, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

This my problem!!! When I finish mastering a song in logic 9, the audio always has digital overs (in the red)! I check all the channels in the main mix and the output...fine. Then I load the main mix into logic's stereo mastering project. I check all the the plug ins on the channel strip to make sure there is no clipping. I check the all meters on the mixer including the output channel for clipping. Then I bounce the final mix to my desktop. During playback I always have digital overs coming from my apogee duet interface. In my Maestro software as well. When I burn a cd it goes in the red too! I set the adaptive limiter at 1.0db (input), 8.5db (gain), and -01db or -03db (out ceiling). It sounds good at this setting with no digital distortion or crushing the dynamics. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO CLIPPING ANYWHERE!!! If turn down the adaptive limiter at the input this keeps it out the red but then the audio is to low. I don't understand why I get overs when there is no clipping at any stage from start to finish. I check commercial music from my interface and they always playback fine. What am I doing wrong! Please help!:angryfire::brkwl:
  3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

Check the level the master channel strip is set to. If you don't see it in the track mixer, you may need to open the audio environment layer and look there.

This is a very often overlooked cause of digital overs.

kind regards

4. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Or unders.
  5. Multispace

Multispace Member

I know that the Apogee Duet's meters tend to go in the red when it's near the 0 dB point, as an extra safety I guess. And -0.1 dB is pretty near 0 dB, so that may explain it. Every meter has a different 'rule' for going into the red. Some already when at -0.3 dB, some when just hitting 0 dB with 1 sample, some when there are 7 consecutive 0 dB samples.

Just listen well to the results on all systems if there's actually distortion heard. You can still set the ceiling of the limiter to e.g. -1 dB.

Hope this helps.
  6. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

Thanks Mark for your response. I usually set the master channel strip of the main mix at 0db from the loudest audio channel (or note) of the song without going in the red. From there I import the whole song as 24bit wave file into logic's stereo mastering project. When I am done there, the master channel strip is usually hitting at -03db of brick wall limiting. When you say "open the audio environment layer and look there"...what do you mean? How do I open the audio environment layer? This sounds helpful but how do I check it?
  7. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

The master channel's output is usually at -0.3db of brick wall limiting right before the final bounce. I don't hear any distortion at all...it's all crystal clear. When I check the the audio levels from the cd on another system, it goes in the red. Not all the time but about 50/50. But it still sounds good. Should I attempt to use some light compression on the main mix right before the mastering stage, so the adaptive limiter doesn't have to do all the work or will this introduce too much compression into the mix and crush the dynamics? Right now I use no compression until i get to the mastering stage. Also Mark mentioned opening the audio environment laver to check for overs. And you said "or unders". I am confused on how to open the audio environment layer. Please explain how to do this. Thanks for your response.
  8. Eli

Eli Senior member

* Go to the Environment Window. Default key command is command 8.

* From the "layers"menu on the upper left, choose the Audio layer. It looks like a mixer.

* Scroll all the way to the far right and you will find an object called "Master". This controls the meta level of all the physical output pairs. Make sure this is set at unity gain in order for your metering on your "Stereo Out" channel strip that you are bouncing from to be accurate.