1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Me and Dee Zee

Discussion in 'LUG Media Station' started by Eli, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Luggers,

If anyone is interested I have a new original (jazz) tune called Me and Dee Zee, featuring fellow Lugger and groove 3 author Doug Zangar on guitar. You can find the tune here:

I'm playing vibraphone and drums on it, Doug is playing guitar. The bass was programmed with Trillian, the piano with True Pianos.

FTR, this tune ties in with my recent Jazz Theory Explained video series. The last few videos in the series discuss it's composition and production.

Oh yeah, and of course the whole thing was done inside Logic :)
  3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Very nice! Uptempo and fun. And trust me, I'm not normally a fan of jazz, I like my music mean and moody with melody and a side of aggression, jackhammers and chainsaws on broken glass but hummable. ;)

Congrats to both of you, and thanks for sharing!

4. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

This tune rocks!!! - er, jazzes - no, bops... uh, swings......!?

Great job Eli. Nice work on ALL your parts. And thanks for allowing me to lower the quality a notch or two with my guitar parts. And, why does the tune seem so much slower now that I'm not trying to play the head???
  5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

I love it - thanks so much for sharing, Eli! I happen to like Jazz, and particularly enjoyed your very authentic be-bop inspired drumming, Doug's very fine, sensitive comping and solo (all the more so as I presume you two weren't able to play live together?), I really like the melody of the tune (yes Orren, there is one, maybe a bit longer than in some other styles of music ;-) )

What I find particularly interesting is a feeling of, for want of a better word "tension" between the strong triplet swing of the drums and the in places considerably straighter played Vibes, all the more so as you play both. From a drummers point of view quite an unusual and unexpected contrast, and I must say, one of the best things I think can be found in anything these days is something that works while at the same time causes the listener to sit up and pay attention to something surprising. Well done!

kind regards

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback :)

Doug - I know what you mean about the tune feeling slower when listening back versus struggling to get through the head. I have the same experience listening back to it now!

Mark, you are of course correct that we weren't playing live together. And that's perceptive of you to pick up on the nuance of my phrasing on vibraphone. I've always been a fan of playing, as a soloist, with relatively straight eighth note phrasing in this sort of "hard bop" style. I've always liked the way players like Milt Jackson, or Sonny Stitt, play their phrases - which is relatively "straight" compared to some of the older swing players.

Orren the melody is 32 bars long. The form (and melody) is a A - B - A - C. The two A sections are the same, so there's really only 24 bars of "unique" melody :D
  7. sunhunter9

sunhunter9 Member

Nice one. Soloists who play straight time are some of the unswung heroes of jazz.
  8. Eli

Eli Senior member

:drm: (ba-da boom)
  9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Yeah, what Eli said......