Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Middle Eastern Loops?

Discussion in 'Audio Units: Effect and Instrument Plugins' started by Ichiji, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Ichiji

Ichiji New Member

Can anyone suggest a source for good middle eastern percussion loops (doumbek/tabla)?

3. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

'Middle Eastern' loops

While the doumbek is a Middle Eastern Instrument, the tabla is Southern Asian (India, Pakistan...)

You can find really good samples of these and other world instruments in MOTU's 'Ethno' plug-in: http://imsproav.com/main/search/MOTU839128005419.html

Native Instruments has a fantastically great (and inexpensive) soundpack for Kore and Kore Player called 'North India' http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/kore-soundpacks/north-india/

That focuses on tabla and other Southern Asian instruments however... very different from 'Middle Eastern' instruments...

4. Ichiji

Ichiji New Member

Thanks!

Yes, your are right, there is some lexical ambiguity. Some people call it a doumbek and some a tabla or Egyptian tabla, but it is not the same thing as the Indian tabla -- it is a funnel shaped drum, usually metal, with a rounded rim and bolted head. More specifically I am looking for loops of traditional middle eastern beats like baladi, taksim. PS I can't answer for the spelling of those. :)

5. Eddie Sullivan

Eddie Sullivan Senior member

Well the reason for me pointing out the difference was not semantical or ethnomusicological, it was technical, the different drums from the different regions might be found in different libraries...

: )

6. Judith Gruber-Stitzer

Judith Gruber-Stitzer Senior member

7. Brian Stone

Brian Stone Member

Did you check out the Apple Loops that are already installed with Logic? The Jam Pack World Music Apple Loops have loads percussion material. Not sure how much is specifically doumbek/tabla, but if memory serves, there is a lot of variety there.

8. splurgo

splurgo New Member

Hi we have two sets of Darbuka Loops. Both sample packs contain authentic rhythms.

Darbuka Loops Pack 1 is all 4/4 timing and contain rhythms as: maqsuum, baladii, sayyidii, waahida and sombati

Darbuka Loops Pack 2 is all 3/4 and 6/8 timing and contains the following middle eastern rhythms: Abwanii, Daarij, Darj, Ghiita, Hazaj, Khalaas al awwal, Makhluf, Qantara, Quddaam, Shiishtosh, Tsamiko and Yuruk as-Samaa'ii.

(not sure about the spelling either ;)).

All files are available in wav and aiff format. Good luck!

9. Ichiji

Ichiji New Member

Excellent loops!

Thanks! I got the Splurgo Darbuka loops. They are great, and the price was right!

10. yvon01

yvon01 New Member

contact Splurgo

i want to buy those darbuka loops but cannot access the Splurgo site...it keeps asking me for a password...Authentication required??

Attached Files: