1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Midi Bin

Discussion in 'Logic Wishlist' started by pv_joker, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pv_joker

pv_joker Member

How about a bin for midi data?

In certain projects that I've worked on, when using a lot of midi instruments, I would have found it useful to have somewhere, like the audio bin, where I could put chunks of midi data incase I wanted to recall them later.

In the past I've used a midi track with no instrument associated with it, just as a dumping ground but this can be messy and confusing.

Would anyone else find this useful or is it just me?

3. Jay Asher

Jay Asher Senior member

I think that is a terrific idea.

4. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

I have wanted this myself for a long time. :)

The closest thing that there had been to this was the "Trash" in earlier versions of Logic, which showed you deleted MIDI regions in context (meaning, the Trash was a hidden Arrange window). But I'd much prefer a bin!

Orren

5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

Yes, a good idea.

I generally make a folder called "spare", or just loads of no output tracks at the bottom of the arrange.

6. pv_joker

pv_joker Member

I'm pretty ashamed to admit that I've never used older versions of Logic but I usually just use a bunch of no output tracks too. I wonder why they removed the 'trash' from the older version?

7. Lincoln M

Lincoln M Member

yup - one of the things I miss from PT - surprised Logic doesn't have this...
    What do most of you do keep a folder of unused midi regions?

8. Eli

Eli Senior member

When I need to, I mute and hide the tracks; usually at the main arrange level - not in a folder. But if its a big project I'll pack them into a folder and then mute and hide the folder track.

And I agree - some sort of MIDI Bin would be an excellent practical feature.

9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

MIDI bin = very good idea!

I have often wished for such. In addition to doing all the above mentioned tricks I find that by saving incremental versions of a project I can delete what I don't want, and albeit with a little searching, can extract it from an old version

10. riffeta

riffeta New Member

yep...a bin would most definately be a timely addition (i hope they're taking notes!) but in the mean time i agree with a lot of the guys; the neatest way to pack everything up is to remove the output of the tracks, pack them into an organised folder(s) and hide them. presto!

11. pv_joker

pv_joker Member

Packing stuff into hidden folders and saving incrementally are both excellent ideas. I tend to save a lot of versions anyway as i am anal retentive about such things. I'm still crossing my fingers for a midi bin though.

12. David51

David51 Senior member

Yes! What a great idea, I too have often thought 'can I save this somewhere and be able to remember where?

13. TmHuud

TmHuud Member

This is a super midi-licious idea.

Love it.

14. Ming

Ming Member

I keep my MIDI-files in the audio-files folder. I put MIDI chunks in there with Com-Alt-E. They don't do any harm and from there I can drag them into the arrange-window where ever I need them. I have my browser-tab looking into my audio-files folder so I switch between bin and browser. Audio-bin shows audio only and Browser shows audio and MIDI, (a bit like the Apple-loop window works). It's the closest I can get to a real MIDI-bin. Putting them there is no problem except I have to name them.. so drag and drop would be nice.

Of course I could have a separate folder with only MIDI and switch bin-browser but now I can choose to drag audio or MIDI into the arrange-window to find what works best for my need.