Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 MIDI Fades in Hyper Draw?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by David51, May 29, 2012.

1. David51

David51 Senior member

I have RTFM and searched you tube but this particular technique has eluded me. I can choose velocity in the Hyper draw in Piano Roll but when I try to draw some fade on a selected note I see a thin green line but can find no info how this feature works. There was one you tube about just this but it was for Logic 8 and had instructions that were not in Logic 9, like choosing 'zoom in' from the Piano Roll "view" drop down, can't get the auto zoom in Logic 9 to do anything, and that is the main part off that explanation. Anyone want to try a short explanation of using the bars in the Piano Roll Hyper Draw to make a fade on one note?

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi David,

You can't fade a note's velocity. Velocity is not an independent MIDI CC message like volume or pan is. Velocity is part of the note event. There is one velocity value tied to each note. It doesn't matter if that note is eight bars long; it is simply triggered at one static velocity and all you can alter is the velocity level that is associated with the note on event.

If you want to fade the note over time, you must use a MIDI CC message like volume or expression (or track automation).

4. David51

David51 Senior member

Hi and thanks Eli, I found that out by trying the volume instead of velocity[stupid me-of course velocity is one layer out of many-not the same as volume] and of course it works beautifully, nice for stopping the Wagner style long strings notes gaining intensity as they go on. Sorry to have wasted your time, I will get the hang of this stuff eventually.

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

No worries, it's not a waste of time. I'm just glad when I can actually answer one and help!

6. David51

David51 Senior member

Still, thanks again for being there when needed. And knowing so much about music and Logic, I have learned a lot from you, and the others here. You wouldn't happen to know if it is possible for me to control with CC2 from my Breath Controller the mixed choir female ensemble in the EXS, I have set the EXS up to use CC2 for volume but I still can't get the voices to play as instruments, maybe they aren't intended to be used that way,any ideas?

7. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi David,

I'm not sure I'm following what you mean by not being able to get the voices to play as instruments? If you load up the EXS 24 instrument, how does it work if not like an instrument? Can you give a bit more detail about what the specific problem is?

WRT CC2, you can map it in the EXS 24 modulation matrix to control whatever parameter you need. Maybe try mapping it to control MIDI Expression (CC 11)? That way you can use it to control the level of the instrument, but you still have your volume left unused in case you need it for mixing later on.

8. David51

David51 Senior member

Thanks Eli, I mean when I try this I get a synth lead sound[must be coming from the EWI's internal synth]instead of the voices, if I unmute the track the sequencer plays the voices as one would expect, but not when I try to use the CC2 or 11 from the Breath controller. The track must be muted when playing the EWI or you get 2 performances,me, and the sequencer, I prefer to add expression using the breath controller-it gives a lot of control.
    A similar situation occurs if I try using the EWQL choir, the range of this melody is too big for the sample library and so the EWI sends those notes which are too high or low through using a synth lead from its internal synth. I set the internal synth to zero[no patch] and the missing notes out of range are silent. The GarageBand female choir voices can reach the full range so that is why I was using them instead of EWQL. i have posed this question to John Jisley of EWI-Logic Forum, but it can take a long time for him to reply since he is very active in concert life, and family things.

9. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi David,

Sorry, I'm not really familiar with the EWI. I think Pete Thomas is our resident EWI expert. Maybe he can chime in here??

10. David51

David51 Senior member

That would be great if Pete had time to chime in on this, I can imagine he already knows the forum that I mentioned which combines EWI with Logic so he may just let me wait for them to reply, his help is of course always very much appreciated. I hope I was able to make my question clear, Pete should understand it, I hope.

Back to your remark about volume, I had assumed I would be using track automation for that in mixing, the EWI just provides real time velocity[thats a sort of volume, no?] much more finely than MIDI editing could ever match. The EWI is a wind instrument so every attack and hold has its' own values. If you have ever seen Quantz's instructions for playing an adagio you would see what I mean-I will see if I can add a .png to this. Nope, no good file to upload, maybe another time. I think if I open Logic I can take a screen shot of Quanntz' adagio and upload it if you want to see how much detailed variation in articulations and volume changes was expected in 1750, just say so and I will see if I can do that.