Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Midi import export question?

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by uncle808us, Feb 3, 2013.

1. uncle808us

uncle808us Member

I'm sorry if this has been asked before,
    When I finish my score in Logic then export out as a .mid file it imports into my two other programs (Guitar Pro and Harmony Assistant ) with different timing.
    Could someone explain why this happens, and how it can be fixed. Thank you.

Attached Files:

3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Changing the thread title to Score Import/Export rather than MIDI might catch Doug's attention.;)

I'm guessing you might need to use local MIDI menu>Region Parameters>Apply Quantization Settings Destructively before exporting.
  4. uncle808us

uncle808us Member

Score Import/Export

Thanks That cleared most of it up. Much better.
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Have I become SO predictable?:eeek:;)

Sounds like you're pretty much up and running, but read this blog post to know what Logic can do for you. Written for Sibelius and Finale in mind, it will help significantly for what you're doing as well.
  6. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Nope. Just offering a fellow member a useful tip on how to attract the best source to answer the question.:D

The blog post was very informative! It now raises a related question: Is Score Editor>local Functions menu>Quantization>Fix displayed Note Position and Durations, similar to the Apply Quantization Settings Destructively?

After reading the blog, it now makes sense that the Score Editor option is the better choice for the thread starter.

But since he was happy with the appearance of the notation before exporting, is there any real difference in how these commands work? Or is it a matter of using the available option when working in the Score Editor?
  7. uncle808us

uncle808us Member

That Blog was very helpful. Thank you very much. I appreciate the help.
  8. Doug Zangar

@ CSeye: There is a difference in the quantization, but not sure in uncle808us' case it would make any difference.

To be clear, the score editor display Q overrides the Arrange Q settings. An extreme example: quantize a track in the arrange window to 1/8th notes, apply that setting destructively. Then go to the score editor and set the display Q to 1/4 notes. If that's the look you're working with (quarter notes), it would not show up in export using your choice. It would show up using my example. If you want to take into consideration interpretation and syncopation you'd have to use the score editor method (and don't forget pedal length information, although separate command...)

@uncle808us and CSeye: Glad you found it useful. That site is really a great free resource for Finale and Sibelius users - feel free to point them there.
  9. uncle808us

uncle808us Member

Here is what I did and I got it all fixed: My files now import from Logic the way I want them to.

Score view quantize selected notes in score view> Then go to> Functions in score view >Quantization > fix displayed note positions. also Fix displayed note positions and durations. Interpretation ON Syncopation ON. Export as midi file.
    only one track all parts merged.
    This worked for me. Thanks for the help guys.
  10. Doug Zangar

There you go - glad it all worked!
  11. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

Thanks for clarifying that Score Q trumps Arrange Q.
  12. Doug Zangar

Happy to share the Logic love ;)

And actually, there are times it wouldn't - it can't go the other way - have the arrange window Q set at say, 8th notes and want to show 16ths in the score editor view.