Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

midi keyboard not plug and play

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bartdemylle, Aug 5, 2015.

1. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

Switching on my CME UF8 midi controller keyboard after the iMac is switched on, results in Logic Pro X receiving no midi data at all. In this case I have to restart my iMac with the CME already switched on. Is this normal?
    Are there any other midi controller keyboards which are really 'plug and play' as in 'connect it, switch it on and start playing'?

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

This sounds like a driver problem. Most modern USB keyboards don't need drivers (plug 'n play), but your UF8 needs a driver (not plug 'n play).

Test:

Start the Mac without the keyboard, go to Audio MIDI Setup, select the MIDI window. There is none or a greyed out icon for your keyboard. Switch the keyboard on and shortly after the icon should activate automatically. If it doesn't, your computer cannot see the keyboard. You can try "Rescan MIDI" but I doubt that it will help.

Solutions:

1. Install the latest driver for your keyboard
    Your chances are not good. The CME UF8 is about 10 years old and discontinued, the CME website lists only old drivers and CME has virtually no support.

2. Use a MIDI cable instead of USB

2.1 MIDI via MIDI interface
    Connect the MIDI out of the keyboard to a MIDI interface, be it a standalone interface or available on your audio interface. This is the preferred method.

2.2 MIDI via adapter cable
    There are cables for MIDI => USB and vice versa available. So far I heard, they work. But I don't now about the controller performance with these cables.​

With the MIDI solution you will lose some features, but you get a working keyboard.

4. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

5. Peter Ostry

According to the description, the Roland A-88 needs a driver. But Roland normally keep their drivers up to date. Currently the A-88 driver is for OSX 10.9/10.10

---

My all subjective personal opinion – there are three
    reasons why I want USB on a controller keyboard:
    • The keyboard is only configurable via software
    • The keyboard receives display- or other data from the computer
    • I want to work mobile without an external MIDI interface
    Under all other circumstances I prefer the MIDI connection via cable or wireless. Overall feeling, good key action and smooth control elements are more inportant than integration in the computer system.

6. bartdemylle

bartdemylle New Member

Same here, a good key action is the main thing. So if I understand your first reply correctly, there's no driver needed when the keyboard is connected to a midi interface.

7. Peter Ostry

Correct.

You may lose features, because all the computer did with the keyboard is no longer possible. But if the keyboard works with only the MIDI connection and through a good MIDI interface, you are not slower than with USB.

Example: I have a Studiologic USB keyboard here, removed the USB cable and attached two additional controllers. For my feeling the performance is equal or better than it was via USB.