Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIDI Keyboard Setup

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by Splinterbas, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Splinterbas

Splinterbas New Member

:confused:So I found this keyboard, the Yamaha PSR-350.
    I know that it's a pretty old keyboard, but there's a midi i/o on it so.
    Recently I bought this midi to usb interface cable so that I could start using this keyboard.
    Now I have tried a bunch of things.
    It doesn't show up in the Audio Midi Setup en there is no sign of recognition yet.
    I have read the midi section in the manual of the keyboard.
    If interested you can read that at the bottom, displayed in grey.

Can anyone help me out with this one?

thanks!

1 First, set up the sequencer for recording.
    The actual procedure may differ depending on your particular equipment and software.
    Ideally, you should leave two or more measures of silence (no performance data) before the song begins. The Initial Setup data should then be recorded to this space in the song.

2 Select the MIDI operations.
    Press the left Overall button, repeatedly if necessary, until MIDI is selected.

3 Select the Initial Setup Send operation.
    Press “2” on the numeric keypad to select operation #2, Initial Setup Send. If the INITSEND display appears instead of LOCAL in step #2 above, step #3 is unnecessary.

4 Press the [START/STOP] button. Start the Initial Setup Send operation.

5 Start recording on the sequencer, then send the Initial Setup data.
    Start recording on the sequencer in the normal way, then — with as little delay as possible — press the [+] button to actually start transmitting the data.

3. JuanTahnahmahrah

JuanTahnahmahrah Senior member

Welcome to the forum.

You should consider that the experience level of forum readers varies so much that you will receive much better advice if you provide your own experience level and specific details of your software and hardware. Otherwise, you will elicit responses that may not pertain to your situation.

For instance, you mention you bought a "MIDI to USB interface cable." What exactly did you buy? Newer MIDI keyboards possibly include a direct-to-computer USB connection, but if yours has only MIDI jacks, you need to connect a MIDI interface to your computer, and then just cable MIDI to MIDI from keyboard to interface, and USB to USB from interface to your computer.

So, you see, I am unsure what equipment you have. If you do have a hardware interface, it must also have the correct driver loaded so your OS recognizes it. If Audio-MIDI does not see your interface (or your keyboard), Logic will not see it either.

The instructions which you greyed out pertain to what you might want to do subsequent to when you have properly connected your MIDI interface.

4. Splinterbas

Splinterbas New Member

My bad,

This is the cable that I bought.

Experience, well, I recently installed Logic Pro 9.
    I have been working with Ableton Live 8 and Audition 3.0 for 2 years or something.
    Midi is something new I wanted to try because I found the keyboard.
    With Ableton I always used EZdrummer for drums because I never had any equipment to use MIDI.

So this cable has an interface attached to it, so plug and play should be possible I suppose.
    It didn't come with a manual or any software to install.
    This is the first time I'm using MIDI so, that also quite explains why I don't have any idea what to do :p

Hope somebody can help!

Thanks!