Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MIDI recording for guitars

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by Rafa, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Rafa

Rafa Senior member

Hi everybody,
    I recently I got my hands on a Roland Gi-20 and I'm wondering if it's possible to record each MIDI string on separate channels. I know that with the Gi-20 there are two recording modes; poly and mono. Is there a way to use the mono option, with some kind of multi-timbral instrument and get what I want?

3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

Hi Rafa,

Yes there is. The thing about Logic is that it will always "bring in" MIDI data into a single channel, and then "explode" it out to the multiple channels from there. So in the Song Settings > Record Settings in Logic, and check "Auto Demix by channel if multi-track recording."

With this checked, you can have 6 different MIDI (or SI) tracks, each assigned to different MIDI channels, record six discreet mono channels from the GI-20, and each MIDI channel will end up on the correct track, played by the correct MIDI device/SI instrument.

4. Rafa

Rafa Senior member

Thanks a lot Orren!
    Your answer did not only solve my problem but it also cleared out some foggy doubts I had with MIDI recording in Logic.

Greetings from the southern hemisphere!