Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic Studio apps Midi sequences?

Discussion in 'MainStage' started by Robert Wilson, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Robert Wilson

Robert Wilson Senior member

Hi folks,

Anyone know if MS can trigger MIDI sequences?

I have it set up to play audio backing tracks but it would be nice to have a MIDI sequence playing alongside.

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Software or external sequencer?

I'm not sure about an external sequencer, but it might be able to be done if you can get the sequencer to synch up to MainStage via MIDI clock.

Obviously MS doesn't load/run MIDI sequences in the program. With its clock you might be able via Rewire or maybe the IAC driver to have a second program running and play the sequence back through there. I've seen post of people doing that.

So, definite advantage over rendering the MIDI file to audio and sticking it in a Playback plug-in?
  4. Robert Wilson

Software - Logic, for example. ;-)

Thanks, I'll look around.

Yes, I have a hardware Novation Basstation. It'd be nice to be able to play with the knobs (ooo-err!) on stage, without having to play the synth-bass melody at the same time.
  5. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

If you get things to work (or not), it would be great to hear a synopsis of your work. Thanks.
  6. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

That puts a lot of pressure on the Mac. Mainstage is a very hungry program, it doesn't leave much for Logic if they are on the same machine. You may prefer a sequencer with a smaller footprint.
  7. Robert Wilson

I know, I was joking. Would be nice, though...... :)
  8. Brian Stone

Brian Stone Member

Yeah, MainStage cannot playback MIDI files like it can audio files.
  9. Robert Wilson

Well, maybe it'll be able to in MS 3.............. :)