Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixing Board Firewire Interface

Discussion in 'Studio Techniques' started by barbworks, Nov 10, 2009.

1. barbworks

barbworks New Member

I am looking to purchase a mixing board style interface that doubles as a stand alone mixer for use with Logic 8 (later 9). I'll use it in a school situation so I want the kids to have more of a "hands on" experience with the mixing board in Logic and also to use as a separate mixing board if needed. It HAS to be firwire. I have seem Mackie Onyx but I hear they have serious problems and then there's Yamaha N8 or N12. I have the M-Audio Project Mix but it can't be used as a separate mixing board. Major bummer! Any suggestions?

3. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

What sort of budget do you have to spend on this? Would it stretch to the Tascam DM 3200? That has a good reputation, and can be fitted with a firewire card.

I should in fairness mention that I don't have any hands on experience with that desk and logic.

kind regards

Mark

4. barbworks

barbworks New Member

Thanks for the reply. Budget is not necessarily an issue. I was thinking something smaller with fewer inputs, say 4 - 8. If I go for something like the Tascam (I am not a big fan of Tascam but that's from a perspective of using their equipment many years ago), I might as well go for the Yamaha 01v96 or 02r96? Again, I wanted a few inputs. I want this to be fairly portable. I am learning the difference between the controller (motorized faders and full integrating with the software) and a firewire mixing board. I guess I am asking for both. I had a digi002 and it worked great with ProTools, obviously, but wasn;t compatible with Logic. The 002 could also be used as a stand alone mixing board. I suppose I go check out the TDM pages. Thanks!
    Barb

5. Markdvc

Markdvc Administrator Staff Member

If you have the monex to spend, by all means look at the Yamaha mixers - don't forget the DM 1000 as well.

kind regards

Mark