1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More open movie problems....

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by madelefant, Oct 1, 2015.

1. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

logic 10.2 and mavericks. Importing a movie that shows 2 lpcm audio teacks. When i extract audio the importeed files have no sound. Palying them in the media window does produce sound. They are mov. Files produced in quicktime. 44.1 khz. I open then in peak and it shows them as 2 separate mono tracks. Logic thinks they are surround sound. Were recorded using motu mk828ii as audi interface.

Mike

3. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

If you open the file in QuickTime (the old version) and click command+I to open the Inspector, what does it say for the audio format?

4. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

5. EdgarRothermich

EdgarRothermich Senior member

It looks like you have an audio track that is formatted not as 5.1 but as 22.0 with 22 Center channels. I think that is what throws off Logic when it tries to extract that thing, whatever that is.

I would fix the movie file if that is possible, to something more manageable, like "stereo"

6. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Well I'm not sure how to fix that. And the problem is it is a 2 channel recording. It is some type of quicktime glitch. The motu 828mkii I think states it can has 22 outputs and inputs so that seems to be where the 22 comes from. I guess I can try to export it via quicktime?

7. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

I've gotten it to work but it is unbelieavably tortured process. Export audio from quicktime movie. Then import to logic pro separately. Then listen to it glitch and warble and try to fix that.

Mike

8. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

WoW, I've never seen that! Who created the QT movie to begin with? 22 center channels :eek:

9. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

It was created just using to channels in from a Motu 828mkii to quicktime move recording using seperate camera. Suffice to say at this juncture in time, Apple/Logic video editing/conversion is almost completely useless. You wouldn't believe how fffed up the files are getting trying to import or convert them. An old copy of the defunct Bias Peak works better. A real shame.

10. Doug Zangar

You've created a QT movie which Logic is not designed to handle. It's non-standard, I'm not surprised you have problems. So maybe you can run the audio back into the MOTU interface and sum it to stereo, as Edgar suggested? Then take the summed stereo and replace the old audio with that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  11. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

The original recordng is 2 channels into quicktime. It cant be a surround file because quicktime cant record surrond. I think it can paly it back. The origination of the problem is quicktime typing the file in error. The compounding of the problem is logic limitations of fixing or converting a file with such an issue when it is imported, The grapic display shows a stereo file but the channel strip shows it as surround. Attempting to change the strip to stereo does not solve the problem. It wont play back from the arrange window. I can get playback from the media browser. Attempts to get logic to play it back in the arrange don't work. What i am able to do is oepn it in Peak, which sees it as a movie file with two mono tracks, and thrn export them into logiic so I have solved it but it is disappointing, that this issue is ocurring with two apple products supposedly with a level of integration, and i need to go to a now defunct audio editor, (Peak), to fix it.

Mike

12. Doug Zangar

Frustration understood. But, Logic is not set up (obviously) to deal with that. I realize you've found a workaround, but one thought: once the file was in Logic did you try to convert it to a different type of file (even if it was a stereo AIFF it may be saved by changing it to a stereo.wav.)?

13. madelefant

madelefant Senior member

Well next time i capture audio and video using differnt sources for both i think i am going to make sure the audio sampling rate is 48.1. It was 44.1 in this instance. While their may not be a logical link between this problem and sample rate, the common video sample rate for audio is 48.1 and in the digital domain, who knows what this variation on common expectation might yield.

Mike

14. Doug Zangar

Definitely worth trying something different......