Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motu Audio Express via Thunderbolt to firewire Adapter

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CostaGR, Aug 27, 2015.

1. CostaGR

CostaGR New Member

Hello there,

As a producer i have a Motu Audio Express Unit and I was wondering about if anyone tested an external audio device that supports only firewire or USB 2 on new IMac Late 2013 system via thunderbolt to firewire adapter?

I As i read The Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter provides up to 7W of bus power. This will power the majority of FireWire devices, but there may be some devices or chains of devices that require more power.

Let me know about if anyone using Motu Audio Express and did all well please
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Not exactly the same scenario, but I successfully ran a FW MOTU 828 mk 2 via a thunderbolt to FW adapter cable on my late 2014 iMac. I used a FW hard drive in between in order to get the FW 800 to FW 400 connection.
  4. CostaGR

CostaGR New Member

Thank you but your unit (motu 28 mk2) supports thunderbolt connection so it wont be a problem to connect on your Imac. I m trying to see if i use a thunderbolt to firewire adapter and connect my Audio Express because has only firewire and usb 2 connection and new imac has only thunderbolt and usb 3 ..
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

The question has come up a few times at Motunation. IIRC, MOTU FW devices work with the TB to FW adaptors, but you should check there to make sure there is no issue with the power requirements. You could also post the question at the sales link at MOTU. They answer pretty quickly.
  6. Eli

Eli Senior member

No, my MOTU 828 mk 2 is FW only. And it ran fine from a thunderbolt to FW cable from my new iMac. I had to use an external FW hard drive in between in order to go from FW 800 to FW 400.
  7. CostaGR

CostaGR New Member

Thank you bayswater i already email motu department and im waiting for their answer .As i know it supports the TB>FW adaptor but the power requirements is very important as you said, can cause other problems...lets see
  8. CostaGR

CostaGR New Member

Eli thank you for your information i thought t was the newest model as i checked has thunderbolt connection. I totally understand.
  9. angelonyc

angelonyc New Member

I use an RME firewire 800. soon to buy a new mac pro.. RME techs told me a firewire to Thunderbolt will work fine... know doesn't exactly apply to you... just volunteering