Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Mountain Lion 10.8.4 and logic 9???

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by Rodney D, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

Im thinking about upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow leopard. Right now my system is running smooth with no issues. The reason I want to upgrade is because I am planning to get Logic X but I still want to use Logic 9 because of my 32 bit plugins. So I will be using both Logic 9 and 10. I have read some really bad horror stories from people who switched to Mountain Lion and how Logic 9 hasn't been running very stable since the upgrade. Most of the stories I read were from last year and a few this year. This makes me very hesitant about upgrading to ML. My question is whether these issues still exist or has apple fixed these problems? I really need to hear from people who had issues and if these problems still occur before I upgrade to ML.

Thanks

3. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

FWIW I love OS X 10.8 and have had no problems running LP9 in ML whatsoever.

Orren

4. Eli

Eli Senior member

I also have had a perfectly seamless experience with Logic 9.1.8 and Mountain Lion.

But to be completely truthful, I did do a complete system drive reformat and clean install of the whole OS, Logic, and every third party plug-in.

Eli Krantzberg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rodney D

Rodney D Member

I'm not comfortable with doing a clean install. I'm afraid I'll screw it up and won't be able to recover if things go wrong. Can I just update and it wont be any issues?

6. Eli

Eli Senior member

Yes, of course you can upgrade and it should be fine. But just to be safe, make sure to clone your current system drive to another hard drive as a backup.

Eli Krantzberg
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Fabulowsky

Fabulowsky Member

I used to upgrade lion on sl and it was very slow, it seems to be a known problem according to a 5 minutes google search.

Now the question I would have is:
    did anyone tried the upgrade from sl to ml and can compare with a clean install in terms of performances issues /sluggishness ?
    I think i am going to try an upgrade as I have a full backup of my sl setup anyway and I also have a way to quantify then the upgrade compared to my new partition if no one did that yet.

8. mmm42

mmm42 Senior member

10.8.4 fixed a massive audio dropout problem, which existed since 10.7.

9. Fabulowsky

Fabulowsky Member

thanks for the feedback, but the question was more now from SL to ML upgrade vs clean install, in terms of sluggishness ? Is it worth the pain of reinstalling everything ?

10. Orren Merton

Orren Merton Logic Samurai / Administrator Staff Member

I am a lazy bastard. :) I never do a clean install unless I have to. I updated directly from 10.7.6 to 10.8.1, no clean installing of anything.

I've got a mid-2011 iMac i7 with an SSD system drive—a lightning fast machine—and I never noticed any general system or Logic specific slowdowns. Everything worked fine, I never noticed any sluggishness at all. I never had any ML-specific issues that I was aware of.

Orren

11. Fabulowsky

Fabulowsky Member

Thanks Oren this gives me more confidence in the upgrade now :)
    imacs 27" are awesome, we seem to have the same desktop machine except the ssd (got a 2TB drive instead).

12. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Just got a new system, but have both Logic Pro 9 and X and have no issues whatsoever...