Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Move Cycle/Locators by Division?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Melvin Morranis, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Melvin Morranis

Melvin Morranis New Member

I was testing out TouchOSC for controlling logic and it has this cool "Move Cycle" button above the rewind/forward buttons (the touchOSC command was /1/bycycle). When enabled (and even when disabled, as long as the cycle is on) this allows the cycle to be moved 1 bar at a time by hitting rewind/forward. I have what I imagine to be uncommon need to move the cycle by division (ultimately looking for quarter notes)

I can't find any key command to activate some sort of "by cycle" modifier for forward/rewind, nor can I find either move locators or move cycles by division length. The fact that TouchOSC can do it lets me know it is possible somehow but I can't even think of a string of commands/menu items/etc. that might be able to replicate this behavior on the logic side... I can map rewind/forward by division to a controller just fine but is there any way to get the cycle/locators to go with it?
  3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Try setting your cycle range to a quarter note, or whatever length you want, and then use the following key commands:

Move Locators forward by cycle length Command+Shift+.

Move Locators Backwards by Cycle length Command+Shift+,
  4. Melvin Morranis

Melvin Morranis New Member

Eli - I love to think of your comments as a thought bubble to your awesome avi... makes me very happy. I need my cycle length to be different from the increments i'm trying to move it by tho so that wouldn't do for my purpose

I was not able to recreate the cool "by cycle" modifier button situation, but I was able to to find a way to map a custom "move locators by division" command which is not available in the key commands window. In the Controller Assignments window, I made a mapping to a button on my controller and then adjusted the properties of the that assignment after the fact. There is a whole world of fun stuff in there but my key settings were thus:

Controller Assignments Parameter
    Class: Global
    Parameter: Move Locators
    Part: Division

Midi Input Message - info was input by mapping to another parameter but could be done other ways

Multiply - make the one positive or negative for whichever direction you are mapping (forward/reverse)
    Mode: Relative
  5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Sounds like you've found a very imaginative workaround!