1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Moving EXS24 Sounds

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by bayswater, Aug 2, 2016.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Has anyone successfully moved this sound library to a non startup partition? I recall reading here that with a update from a couple of years back that Logic insists on having the EXS24 sounds/samples on the startup drive, and that using an alias would no longer work. I also recall someone suggesting the use of a symbolic link.

If anyone has this working reliably, can you let me know how it was done?
  3. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I have no problem with the files being found on other drives. No need for aliases.

You do need to make sure that spotlight is indexing them.
  4. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Really? That's great. Just to be sure, we are talking about the EXS24 files that come with Logic and Mainstage, the patch files and samples, right? And the most recent versions of Logic? Wonder why the installer stopped giving the option to place the files?
  5. Pete Thomas

Pete Thomas Administrator Staff Member

I'm just talking about EXS24 sample files (not the instrument files) I have my own samples and factory samples moved to another drive, no problems. Provided the drive is indexed in Spotlight, Logic finds them. I have to make sure my back up drive is not indexed or it sometimes finds them there instead.
  6. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Ok, thanks I'll do that, just the samples. This will be a big time saver in setting up a new test partition. WRT your comment on backups, I notice OS X 11.6 refuses to index drives that have my time machine backups on them, even when there are other files there.