Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from L9 to LX

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by bayswater, Oct 18, 2014.

1. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I've just converted an old Snow Leopard partition (used for old Rosetta stuff) to a clean Yosemite partition, and will slowly build up that drive to the point where it can be used as my main setup. I'm thinking about putting LX on it

A couple of things about upgrading are unclear to me. First, is there anything in the sound libraries that come with L9 that should be kept when installing LX, or can you just delete it all and download the LX stuff. I have no projects that depend on anything in L9, but is there anything unique, say for EXS24 that should be kept?

Second, what is the experience with putting the sample and sound libraries on a different drive from the one that has Logic on it? I've seen both Yea and Nay on this forum. Putting it all on the startup drive is a non starter for me. I currently have all my sound and sample libraries on a separate drive, including that which comes with L9.

Is it possible that some sounds, e.g. the EXS24 stuff can go anywhere, while other sounds have to stay where the installer puts them?

If a separate drive is workable, is there a link to a reliable means of setting that up?
  3. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  4. charlie

charlie Senior member

I have both Logic 9 & Logic X on the same computer and I can say that there's really nothing special you need to do if you decide to install Logic X on your system.
    Again, I have both on my computer and I did not need to move/delete any sample libraries or folders.
    Off the top of my head, I would say that you probably should NOT move ANY folders that Logic uses to work internally.
    Logic (and Apple in general,) are pretty strict about where their sample & operational files "should be" for Logic to work correctly.
    Logic 9 and X are two different applications that can exist and run on the same computer with no conflicts that I am aware of.
    Why do you want to move the EXS library? Is it a matter of space?
  5. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

Yes, it's space. I have three partitions on my internal drive for three different OXS versions I use. I have all the sample and sound content for everything on a separate drive, and would like to keep that in place. I did this for Logic 9 quite a while ago, and really can't recall how I did it.

I did find a couple of Youtube references to Logic X content moved to external drives using symlinks. This was apparently better than aliases because it would allow content to be downloaded directly to the external drive. Also, if any content is updated that would also go directly to the external drive.

From what I've seen, aliases are generally to be avoided. They aren't small any more, and that makes them less useful than they use to be.
  6. charlie

charlie Senior member

You seem to have done some research to your question. The fact that you run Logic 9 this way probably supports what you need to do.
    All that said, I've always heard that moving any internal folders is a no-no when talking about Logic.
    There are folks here who know more about this sort of stuff than I do but I might just recommend getting a larger internal hard drive to store the Logic 9/X content IF that was an option for you.
    I'd be curious to hear what others here might suggest.
  7. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I've done some googling if you call that research. But hard to know how reliable the unknown sources are. I hope to hear from someone here who has actually tried it.

A new internal drive in this specific mac model is a tricky and expensive exercise. And the last time I did a new drive, there was several days of set up and re-authorizing to do.
  8. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

I'd avoid partitioning and opt to use an external drive per version of Mac OS X if you're intent is to actively work with each version of OSX.

I do use partitions for previous versions of OSX in my Mac Pro1,1 only for the purpose of opening old files when needed.

Having one version of OS X on your internal drive would give you the space needed for Logic's factory content.
  9. bayswater

bayswater Senior member

I'm operating fine now with three partitions, one for general use that I can leave relatively stable, one for testing new OS and app versions, and one for general data that doesn't need to be sitting with any particular OS. I have externals for Audio and Backup.

As for the Logic sound files, SymLinker works just fine. I can put all of the Application Support folders for Logic and GB on a different drive and point to them with a symbolic link.

I have an 2010 iMac, probably not the best choice in retrospect. It's not the simplest machine to upgrade. I can't add or alter drives easily if at all, and the ports don't allow much in the way of externals.