1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X Multi-amp Guitar Rig

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by EduardG, Mar 19, 2016.

1. EduardG

EduardG New Member

On their website, 'An in-depth look at Logic Pro X', Apple mention that one feature of Track Stacks it that:
    <Track Stacks can also contain their own auxiliary channels, so they’re perfect for configuring self-contained setups for parallel processing — a multi-amp guitar rig.>

Great, a multi-amp guitar rig in parallel - not series - is just what I want to do - but, how do I do that?

I have searched the net, including this site and haven't been able to find any information on this - any ideas? Tips? Hints even?
  3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I'm likely missing want you want.... Say you use a summing stack that contains three tracks, each with the same guitar audio file but with separate amps, etc. You then have three parallel channel strips that are summed by the track stack track, which is an auxilliary channel strip.
  4. EduardG

EduardG New Member

From Apple's perspective I don't know what I want either. I'm not familiar with what track stacks provides - apart from as an organisational tool.
    From my perspective - as a guitarist it is common to use at least two amps in parallel i.e two lines from a stereo rig or pedal board - one line into each amp. Stevie Ray Vaughan would use 6 amps in parallel - guitar into an audio splitter box with 6 outs.
    So I'm wanting to achieve that. It seems that the comment on Apple's website is implying that it can be done through track stacks.
    Does that make any more sense?
  5. Doug Zangar

Yes, I'm both a guitarist and a track stack user.

This will work as an organizer. The only drawback I see is I don't believe you can record and monitor on all tracks simultaneously. So, you'd have to record the track on a single channel/channel strip (unless you have more than one input assigned to the guitar) and then copy the recording to the other tracks. This would work for me, your mileage may vary.
  6. EduardG

EduardG New Member

Thanks for your help and suggestions Doug.

I'll have to explore what you have suggested. It seems that I might be slightly misinterpreting what Apple is saying can be achieved with track stacks in this regard.
  7. Doug Zangar

Welcome. Their wording is a little confusing - I could also be misinterpreting. Anyway, try it out and see if it makes sense to you
  8. EduardG

EduardG New Member

I'll try it out this week and let you know what I come up with.
  9. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

For audio the track stacks are indeed rather an organisational tool. You can have one single Aux that functions as a container. That's it, more or less. I don't use track stacks for audio very often.

Stacks with software instruments are different. You can have MIDI notes on the "container"-track and all instruments within the stack play those notes. But some or all can also have their own notes. It's all about sound layers and easier and more flexible than direct cabling in the environment, as we did that until we got track stacks.
  10. Doug Zangar

Yeah - it would be cool if an audio track stack could work like the MIDI ones - where you could have one audio file on the master track and have it routed to all the sub tracks. That said, I don't dislike the way it works now. Just takes a moment to copy the audio file to each track - and then edit if needed.
  11. EduardG

EduardG New Member

True. But part of the act of playing is interacting with the sound you're making - especially for guitarists. Hendrix would never have done any of what he did if he wasn't interacting with his sound. No guitarist in fact Vai, SRV, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton and the few million I haven't mentioned - all played the way they did/do because they're interacting with their sound - and how the instrument of course.
    That's largely why I had to find out how to do what Apple seems to be saying we can do with track stacks - create a multi-amp guitar rig so I can be playing into Logic and designing a massive/fantastic/beautiful/stunning sound. ;) That then largely would determine how I play as I'm recording. That's the plan at least.

But as I've stated already, I might have been misinterpreting what Apple actually meant.
  12. Doug Zangar

You may already know this, but you can still do this - there will be a little latency involved (the amount is system dependent). You can have an audio track assigned to to your guitar input. On the channel strip assign sends to busses - for as many amps as you want. Create a new audio channel strip for each amp, have its input set to one of the busses (each input must be a different buss). You can then throw them into a track stack for mixing when you're done recording.

Less latency but more hardware required to split your guitar signal so you can use multiple inputs on an audio interface, then have a separate audio channel strip/amp assigned to each input.