Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi-timbral multi-output with Bus sends?

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by stevefal, Dec 11, 2014.

1. stevefal

stevefal New Member

I'm running Kontakt multi-timbral with multiple outputs coming into the Logic mixer via Aux channels. The Aux faders work fine, but their Bus sends don't send anything. Only the send on the Logic master channel (1/2) works, and it hears all Kontakt channels even though they aren't routed to 1/2.

What's the trick here?

3. stevefal

stevefal New Member

Digging deeper, I'm get the impression audio is not really handled by the multi-timbral mixer channels. In addition to the Bus send issue, changing an Aux channel output has no effect, and setting the master channel to No Output interrupts audio from all channels.

It seems Aux channels are a mirage, with signal flow not like they imply, but just a set of faders acting on plug-in "channels".

Is this really the case? If so it mostly kills the benefit of multi-channel output from a single-instance instrument.

4. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

5. stevefal

stevefal New Member

Thanks Jim,

That's a good tutorial on how to set up multi-timbral - it's the way I've been doing it.

But the article doesn't address the issue I outlined above. Even though NI says "if you wish to use different insert / send effects" in their explanation, that doesn't really work, as far as I can tell.

6. pfloyd714714

pfloyd714714 Senior member

I've never used the sends on Aux tracks, so I can't speak to why that does not work for you. Here's how I would attempt to accomplish what you are trying to do...

If you look back at the Kontakt instruction page and find the last screen grab, those Aux tracks have outputs of "Stereo Out." I prefer to route each aux track to to a bus and then to an audio track where I record the output. Once I've recorded Kontakt's output I mute the Kontakt instrument and work solely with the audio tracks, adding effects, sends, etc. Would this work for you?

Jim

7. stevefal

stevefal New Member

Thanks Jim, but no, I wouldn't create audio tracks from software instruments. It's an unnecessary step. Logic will freeze tracks automatically if performance is an issue, without the need for new tracks. And performance is not an issue for me, so I have no reason for the extra audio tracks.

In either case, as I explained, reassigning the Aux tracks doesn't work for me in the first place. Audio does not appear to flow through them, but only through the master track.

Does reassigning the Aux tracks to a bus actually work on your system?