Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multipressor and EQ -- your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by lightrainends, Nov 8, 2009.

1. lightrainends

lightrainends New Member

Assuming I have a mix I'm happy with (no specific 'problem' frequencies, etc), should I use both an EQ and multipressor in mastering? It seems like you can achieve overall balance pretty well with the multipressor, and have one less plug-in to deal with.

But if you would use both, how would you order them? How aggressively do you use each?

3. Per Boysen

Per Boysen Senior member

I think MP is great if you want to access a particular frequency band in a mix for compressing or just level adjustment (you can use MP as a multi band EQ too, if setting ratio to 1). Maybe you just want to get the bass floor a little more stable? Set MP to two bands splitting at 100 Hz and tweak ahead. But generally I make most sound tweaks directly on the track channel strips, or on pre mixing busses/aux. The Multipressor is also great as a channel strip insert effect to open up a vocal sound. I think I use this plug-in more as track inserts than on the stereo output mix.

The Phase Linear EQ is also a great tool. Hard to say if you "should" use both. They sound differently, so it's a matter of taste. Generally I EQ as track insert and not on the master channel. It usually sounds better that way.