1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MusicXML - Close but no Cigar! (Chords Missing)

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by DeeJay SchmeeJay, Jul 30, 2013.

1. DeeJay SchmeeJay

DeeJay SchmeeJay New Member

LOVE this new "Export Score to MusicXML" thing but I can't quite get it to submit to my demands, and I wonder whether another kind soul would confirm whether I'm right about this...

Please create a basic lead sheet in the notation editor with a simple melody line of a few bars. Now add some basic chord symbols into the score. Now export the score to MusicXML (I think you might need to be in "page view" to do this)...

Now open the MusicXML file in a program like Finale or MuseScore.

If you're experience is the same as mine, everything works - except the chords: they're nowhere to be found. I've left feedback with Apple.

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

I haven't even had time to look at the score improvements. Export to Music XML is significant. I was able to export, but don't have a program to import. Logic X appears not to import Music XML on a quick test.

I'd be curious if you can get chord symbols to show up. DOes Music XML from Finale or Sibelius do chord symbols?

4. DeeJay SchmeeJay

Yeah, that's right Doug, Logic X only exports MusicXML. BTW, MuseScore is a pretty powerful open source notation program that imports and exports MusicXML http://musescore.org

I just did a test lead sheet with chords in Finale and the chords do indeed export (and reimport) through their MusicXML. At this stage I'm guessing it's a limitation of Logic X's current MusicXML export capabilities.

5. Doug Zangar

Thanks for the info, I'll check out MusicScore when I have a minute.

6. Norman

Norman New Member

The new “Export Score to MusicXML” can be used for leadsheets. Just enter the chords as TEXT and they transfer for example to Finale just fine. For importing into Logic X midi files are OK.

7. Doug Zangar

Norman - thanks for the tip!

8. DeeJay SchmeeJay

But doesn't that defeat the purpose of creating chords? If it's just text that's being entered it can't be transposed later if needed.

9. Norman

Norman New Member

Your right, all we've got for now are <words>.
    Hopefully <harmony> will soon find it's way into an update.