1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muted Regions still play.

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by Jay Denson, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Has anyone had a problem that muted regions still play? I have a couple of tracks in a mix that refuse to mute. All other tracks mute fine.

TIA Jay:confused:

3. Eli

Eli Senior member

Are you using Melodyne on them by any chance?

4. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Muted Regions still play

Hi Eli

One track is Aria and the other ESX24. No Melodyne - I don't have it.

Jay

5. Eli

Eli Senior member

Well, there goes that theory.... :brkwl:

6. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Muted Regions still play

Worth a try. It's a complete mystery.

Jay

7. Antaren

Antaren Member

Just a thought...can you copy and paste those regions onto another track and see if you can mute them out?

8. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Antaren

I did that and it works fine. But I have now discovered what what was happening. I went to delete the offending regions and lo and behold there was a copy of the same regions underneath the muted ones. I must have goofed when I was making the tracks - they were copies of data from elsewhere (I often record tracks with an electric piano first and then copy them to new tracks with new inputs - if you see what I mean).

Anyway now we know - if a region won't mute it's probably because there's a copy of the same region hiding underneath.

Jay

9. Antaren

Antaren Member

HI Jay:

Glad you found the answer to your mystery!!

Karen

10. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Muted Regions

Hi Karen

Thanks. It was driving me nuts. At least I'll know where to look if it happens again.

Jay

11. Eli

Eli Senior member

Glad the mystery is sorted out. Jay,I think you are coming from DP, right? In Logic, it's really not standard practice like it is in DP to have regions overlapping each other at the same position on the same track.

I know it wasn't intentional, but FTR, one of the great features of Logic is the ability to have multiple tracks all assigned to the same channel strip. If you are ever in a situation where you need multiple regions at the same time position playing through the same channel strip (muted or otherwise), just create new tracks assigned to the same channel strip and put them there. I do this all the time. I have been since version 1.1 of Logic. The standard key command for it in LPX is Control Shift Return.

And now with the new Power Button feature in the Track Header of LPX tracks, muting the tracks individually is a no brainer.

12. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Muted Regions

Hi Eli

I didn't know about the multiple tracks on one channel. Thanks for a great tip.

BTW what is DP? And what and where is the Power Button?

Regards, Jay

13. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Eli

I found the power button - neat feature.

DP is Digital Performer? No - I've never used it. LP is my first essay into a DAW. Prior to that - some 30 years ago I was an analog mix engineer for many years. And a busy arranger too.

Jay

14. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hey Jay,

Sorry about that, I forgot. I thought you were switching from Digital Performer. And there using overlapping regions is a common workflow.

Yeah, the power button is great. It allows you to mute a track without muting the channel strip. Incredibly useful when you have several tracks assigned to the same channel strip. MIDI or audio....

15. Antaren

Antaren Member

Eli--When might I want multiple tracks all assigned to the same channel strip?

16. Eli

Eli Senior member

MIDI or Instrument tracks: Maybe you want alternate parts that you want to be able to toggle between to audition. Maybe you have complex parts that you want to play/record in separately. Maybe you have complex parts and you want to have access to part of the performance independently for purposes of copying to other instruments. Maybe you want to double a part in octaves, or some other interval.

Audio: Granted it's less relevant now with Take folders, but maybe you want to have alternate takes or edits of performances laid out horizontally so you can easily audition them separately.

Here's one that I do with audio tracks currently: I currently have a singer coming to my studio to work on some tunes. He comes back for several sessions to record alternate versions. I set up a nice effects chain that I like for his voice. Each session when he comes over, I create a new track pointing to that same channel strip, name the new track with the current date, and record him.

So now, I have three or four tracks, all pointing to the same channel strip with the same effects processing. Each one contains take folders from his takes that day. So I can easily audition takes from previous sessions. and they all have the same effects on them, are at the same level, etc. It's actually working out to be a great workflow.

17. Antaren

Antaren Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, Eli! I didn't know about this feature. I see how it can come in really handy.

Karen

18. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Muted Regions, etc

Hi Eli

Great tips. There's something I don't understand. I can stack regions on top of each other and have them play on one track. It seems to work with Drag set to Overlap.

I normally don't do this but if a have a region which starts with an anacrusis and I want to put a copy of it right on the end of the first region (i.e repeat the section) I have to overlap it on the end of the first region. It seems to work fine. I haven't used other Drag modes.

I guess the advantage of using the ctrl-shift-return method is that you have pan, level and automation available to you on the 'ghost' track (for want of a better term).

I hope I'm making sense here.

Kind regards, Jay

19. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Eli

Great tips. There's something I don't understand. I can stack regions on top of each other and have them play on one track. It seems to work with Drag set to Overlap.

I normally don't do this but if a have a region which starts with an anacrusis and I want to put a copy of it right on the end of the first region (i.e repeat the section) I have to overlap it on the end of the first region. It seems to work fine. I haven't used other Drag modes.

I guess the advantage of using the ctrl-shift-return method is that you have pan, level and automation available to you on the 'ghost' track (for want of a better term).

I hope I'm making sense here.

Kind regards, Jay

20. Eli

Eli Senior member

Hi Jay,

Yes, with MIDI regions, you can have them overlap and they will both play. And yes, if it's a mater of long regions overlapping for a couple of beats due to a pickup; that's fine. I do that all the time too. But I like putting them onto separate tracks when they are playing at the same time. Completely overlapped regions on the same track are hard to select, see, edit, etc.

For example,let's say I have a piano part playing chords. And also a melody line in the higher range. And I want to double that melody line with strings, or a guitar, or whatever. I'll record the chords on one track. Then do the control - shift - return thing and play in the melody. Now I can easily copy that melody region onto another track. Of easily select only a portion of it - if that's what I need - to copy or move, etc. It makes it easier to edit and also to see - in terms of what is going on in the arrangement.

Or, same scenario, maybe I have two different chord parts on the piano that I want to try; I'm not sure which one will ultimately work better in the arrangement. Control-Shift-Return, record all the alternate parts I want to try, turn the power button off on them to silence them until I am ready to try the alternates.

Or, I am recording in a solo. I want to record several takes and then choose later. I prefer the control - shift - return method than MIDI take folders for this; they're easier to edit. With take folders, you have to split them on to separate tracks to edit them anyway. May as well skip that step!

But yeah, it's certainly unnecessary for a beat or two overlap.

21. Jay Denson

Jay Denson Senior member

Hi Eli

It's good to know there are different methods to choose from.

Jay