Logic Pro 9 need advice for moving a Final Cut Pro project over to Logic 9

studioj

Logician
Hello,

Does anyone have advice for moving a Final Cut Pro project over to Logic for mixing? The final cut project lives on a different system (the editor's)....

I've used OMF before it but always feels a little kludgey....is XML the way to go? What should I ask the editor to do when exporting?

Thanks for any help.

j

From the Manual:
Working with Final Cut Pro XML Files
The Final Cut Pro XML format is used to import and export audio data between Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro. The Final Cut Pro XML format supports automation data.
To export the current project as a Final Cut Pro/XML file
μ Choose File > Export > Project to Final Cut Pro/XML. A standard dialog opens, allowing you to name the export file.
Note: AudioInstrumenttracksarealwaysbouncedtoaudiofiles.MIDItracksareignored. Bouncing will automatically switch to real-time mode, if necessary (such as when an I/O or External Instrument plug-in is used).
To import Final Cut Pro XML files
Do one of the following: μ Choose File > Import, then choose the file in the Import dialog. μ Locate and select the file in the Browser, then click the Open button.
The XML import procedure allows you to change or retain the sample rate of audio files used in your Final Cut Pro sequences. If you import sequences that use audio files with different sample rates, you are given the following options:
• To alter the sample rate of your Logic Pro project to match all imported Final Cut Pro sequence audio files.
• To retain the sample rate of your Logic Pro project. All Final Cut Pro sequence audio files that use a sample rate that differs from the selected one are converted.
Note: AFinalCutProsequenceisanarrangementofvideo,audio,andgraphicsclips,edit information, and effects. When combined, they create a movie. Use of XML to import Final Cut Pro sequences into Logic Pro allows you to exchange multiple audio tracks, with all positional region information, region names, and volume and pan automation data, retained.

Upvote 0
Thanks but unfortunately nothing in the manual seems to relate to how its working for me....

I think possibly something is different about the filenames of the audio as I'm getting the audio from an embedded OMF that I am expanding before trying the XML import process. Does the OMF export alter the filenames of the media?

When I try to import the XML it says it can't find such and such file, but doesn't give me an option to select the path, only the exact file...which I do (and btw it doesn't give you the name again in the select dialogue box so you have to write it down or remember it which can be tricky with files that have lots of numbers! kind of silly....)...and then it moves on to the next file...and then after getting through all the files it places them in my audio bin but doesn't put them on the timeline. I basically have empty tracks with automation and panning but no audio.

OMF seems to be working ok so I'm going to stick with that. No levels panning or automation but thats ok. Crazy that we're using such an old format for exchanging files between two cutting edge programs from the same company.

Seems like XML is suited more for running the two programs on the same setup.

Still looking for real world experiences if you have any.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Why not get the client to copy the current version of the project to a drive and use that as your file?

As for OMF, I have had allot of issues in the past. I haven't done any of these things in 9. I have had tech clients call me about this, and the person who makes the OMF needs to do the correct file type for it to work properly.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help. I ended up just sticking with the OMF and it all worked out fine. I had to recreate fades and such but the projects weren't complicated enough for it to be a problem, just 30 sec spots....

thanks!

Upvote 0
Back