Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Need advice on overdubbing midi drums

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by briguy, Jan 1, 2010.

1. briguy

briguy New Member

Hi all,http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm running into some problems trying to overdub drum parts in Logic Pro 9.
    I'm recording the drums using Trapkat XL drum pads and Superior drummer software. The Trapkat has a hi hat and bass drum pedal connected.

Say I record a drum part for a section of the song and want to add some additional cymbal crashes or tom fills, recording over the existing region adds those elements just fine, however if the hi hat is involved the new hi hat hits default to the cc data on the original drum track. for example if I wanted to record an additional open hi hat accent over the original closed hat pattern it won't work. I read in the manual about merging midi regions but it's still a bit confusing.

What would would be the best way to record several drum parts to ensure the hi hat control is what was intended for each part and secondly what is the best way to remove and replace a section that needs to be re done? Does deleting a region remove it's cc data?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Brian C.

3. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

This effect doesn't come from Logic but rather from the instrument. And it is quite normal (if you find real world behavior normal). A closed hihat cannot play open. There is obviously a kind of "choke group" in the instrument to do exactly this: play as a real hihat would play.

You can record on a different track and merge the regions manually after you got the take right. You have to delete the notes of the existing hihat and put the new notes in. And you may find some MIDI data in Hyperdraw or in the event list that need to get removed from the original track.

Work on another track. After you got the part right you can remove the old part and replace it by the new one. Telling an old and new take apart in a merged region is quite difficult, sometimes impossible.

For a drum track normally yes, because all MIDI data are in the regions. Unless you wrote track based automation.

4. briguy

briguy New Member

Thanks for your reply Peter, that really makes sense.

Another question would be, if I record on the existing drum track using "replace" or "punch in" with the merge regions option checked in the settings will that overwrite the existing cc data?

Thanks again for your help. I'm pretty new to midi recording so this is a great resource for me.

Brian C.

5. Peter Ostry

Peter Ostry Administrator Staff Member

Yes, the region gets cutted. You might have to correct some notes or CC data before and after the new region.