Combo Remapper - use score text and symbols to switch articulations
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic X NEED HELP - Recording individual drums from drum plug

Discussion in 'Logic Pro X' started by GameBeat, Sep 2, 2016.

1. GameBeat

GameBeat New Member

Hello all,

I could use some HELP ASAP

My name is Darryl and I am new to this forum. I have been producing music with ProTools for 15 years but I am NEW to Logic Pro X as of a few weeks ago. I have been thru several tutorials and I gotten up to speed rather quickly. Loving Logic and don't know what took me so long to check it out. I am writing to this forum now because I have a degree of confusion as to the work flow of tracking (recording) a drum plug-in into Logic as audio. (Not a stereo pair, but each individual drum recorded separately to its own audio track) I am using Addictive Drums 2 and I have successfully learned how to set up multiple outs and route everything correctly into logic in seperate input/aux tracks. But THIS is where I seem to get stumpped.

Don't most users now record these multi out routed drums into logic creating individual audio tracks for each drum (and room and overhead tracks pairs)? or are most logic users keeping the drums as midi data and processing and mixing this audio as it is output directly from the drum plugin and making a final mix that way. (Which would make editing impossible) I have scoured numerous tutorials and I cannot find a single one to explain how the individual isolated routed drum tracks (multi outs from plugin) are then routed and recorded on to AUDIO tracks in logic. Is it a matter of bussing each drum aux's out to a new audio tracks input, or does the BOUNCE IN PLACE command work in this situation allowing you to bounce each drum. And is it logical or possible to route those individual drums DIRECTLY to audio tracks and recording them in skipping the step of just bussing them into aux channels in logic, I mean can I go straight to audio tracks?

I could really use some direction as to the next steps of work flow to ultimately get everything into AUDIO from midi tracks playing the plugins, especially as it pertains to multiout drum plugs. Thanks so much.

Darryl Duncan
    GameBeat Studios, LLC
  3. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

The devil is always in the details. Hopefully what follows will be of use to you.

Good to hear your AD2 is set up as a multi-output with all voices routed to separate aux channels.

1. Attachment - Project End. Before setting up for the bounce or export, make sure your Project End number is set to just enough bars to cover the content and any reverb tails etc. In the Project End attachment, I only have 16 bars of content, but the export function will go on until bar project end which is set to 129. Not good!

2. Attachment - BIP. Edited. Software instrument track with a MIDI file in the Tracks area. Discrete outputs as aux channels appear in the mixer. File>Bounce>Tracks in Place, checking on "Include Instrument Multi-Outs", and "As Additional Tracks".

End result. Attachment- Results shows what new audio files.

Alternative approach. Attachment - Export. In the Tracks area, select all the aux channels, then choose the indicated command from File>Export. It says 16 Tracks because that’s how many are selected in my case. It’s adaptive based on your selection. Choose a location to save the files, either within the project folder or other. This audio is not added to the Project Audio, but can be manually added. This works great for exporting stems.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    bambony likes this.
  4. GameBeat

GameBeat New Member

Hello CSeye, Thank you SO MUCH for this detailed walk through of how to do this. I truly appreciate it, especially the screen shots and all. However I need to bounce the following off of you. I posted this same question to another forum, and got the following reply.
    Choose File > Bounce > Tracks in Place and enable Include Instrument Multi-Outputs and As additional Tracks.
    That should do it.

This method seems surprisingly simple and easier than the method you shared and from my newbie perspective accomplishes the same end result. Can you tell me what the advantages or disadvantages that may exist (if any) by doing it this way verses the way you described? Am I missing something or are these simply two ways of doing the exact same thing or is one actually different from the other?

Darryl Duncan
  5. CSeye

CSeye Senior member

More detail was added than necesary, certainly useful, but not specific to your question.

Choose File > Bounce > Tracks in Place and enable Include Instrument Multi-Outputs and As additional Tracks. is the best approach.

The response above has been fixed.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2016