Sample Aid
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Logic 9 Need to add second MIDI keyboard

Discussion in 'Logic 9' started by rwdillon, Sep 13, 2011.

1. rwdillon

rwdillon New Member

I need to add a second MIDI keyboard to Logic 9 and be able to switch between keyboards (V Piano for piano tracks and XS-8 for remaining tracks).

3. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

Are you talking about using both to play multiple parts at the same time, or are you saying you wish to use one keyboard at a time when working with Logic?

4. rwdillon

rwdillon New Member

Recording a piano track -either using V-piano sounds or Ivory Piano.
    Then, recording additional tracks for Omnisphere, VSL, etc.
    So I need to be able to switch between keyboards.

5. georgelegeriii

georgelegeriii Senior member

As long as you are not trying to record more than one part at a time, you should be fine. Just make sure they are all connected to your computer via your midi interface... which is what?

What midi interface do you have currently?

6. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

I see. Go to Logic Settings >Recording and enable "Autodemix by midi channel..." which will put Logic into Multi Player/Live mode.
    Set the V Piano to say hardware midi channel 1 and the XS-8 to say hardware midi channel 2.
    Set the Logic instrument piano tracks to ch.1 and the other to ch.2.
    Arm the tracks and play or record - in this scenario it does not matter which track is selected cause they will follow the midi channelizing law.

A.G

7. rwdillon

rwdillon New Member

How do I assign MIDI channels to instruments?

8. Tangra

Tangra Senior member

In the Track Inspector channel strip parameters box (see the image below). By default it is set to ch.All.

Regarding the external keyboards midi channel assign you must set that in their midi settings.

A.G

[​IMG]