1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to backup my hard drive, help please

Discussion in 'Mac OS' started by shreddersinc, Oct 20, 2012.

1. shreddersinc

shreddersinc Member

Unfortunately, Apple sent me a warning that my hard drive may fail...they will replace it. But I need to back it up first, I know there are many options and I've used time machine before but couldn't get it to restore like I thought it would.
    I need something fairly simple and slightly idiot proof here as I have a shortage of time.
    My Imac i7 has a 1TB hard drive and I have a OWC external hard drive with 750gb capacity.
    I would like to make a disk image in disk utility, but my external drive is only 750gb.
    I do have Logic 9, Superior drummer, native instruments and things like that. I'm concerned of having to reinstall everything if I mess this up.

I'm running the latest version of Snow leopard.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

3. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

There is a current thread on this subject, perhaps it answers your question?

http://www.logic-users-group.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6807

The external drive only needs to be large enough to hold ALL your data from your internal drive. Look at the amount of data on your internal drive, if it's less than 750 GB, it should work (assuming the external drive has 750 GB free). Also consider buying another drive - I'd be surprised if you don't find it useful. I've ended up with 6 external drives and I use them all.....

4. shreddersinc

shreddersinc Member

Thanks for the link!

5. daveyboy

daveyboy Senior member

Buy SuperDuper to clone your drive or the free carbon copy cloner app. You'll need to either wipe out your current external or just buy another one to use for the task. It'll be worth the $50 investment.

6. shreddersinc

shreddersinc Member

I just used carbon copy cloner(copied imac HD to an empty external drive)...I've booted from external by restarting and holding option then selecting external drive.Things seem to be fine.

The one thing thats making me question it is. The imac shows about 400gb used and when I cloned it to the external...the external is showing about 250gb used?
    The only explanation I can come up with is the redundancy of saving the same projects over and over? or I really messed things up.

Note- what I've previously been doing is recording my songs to a different HD and occasionally backing those up to my imac's HD.

So I guess my question is...is carbon copy cloner that "good"? I'm try'n to check to make sure, I'm supposedly running everything off the external right now.

Thanks, I don't mean to ask stupid questions.

7. shreddersinc

shreddersinc Member

Does anyone have any thoughts here? ^^ Thats all I'm asking for is...did I do something wrong?
    I know you probably can't tell me with certainty, but should I try again or has anyone had this experience.

Imac HD has 400GB used....I read and followed CCC directions to the best of my ability and external has 250GB.

Thanks,
    This community has been very helpful and I understand theres tons of variables. I'm asking for experienced people to say thats happened to them or not.

8. shreddersinc

shreddersinc Member

I went with it and everything seems to be fine. Even though there's alot of missing GB's.
    I'm guessing that CCC erased redundant files. Pretty cool

9. Doug Zangar

Doug Zangar Senior member

Glad it's all good. I've used CCC for years and it has been quite reliable for my needs. I'm not sure I've ever run across the redundancy you might have experienced so can't comment on how CCC works with that.